ALL students to receive FREE school meals: Sign-up weekly for curbside pick-up
We are now accepting to-go meal orders for curbside pick-up for Week 3 (Sept. 28-Oct. 2):
- Tuesday, Sept. 29; 4-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 30; 7-8 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 30; 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Orders must be submitted by 9 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. (late orders cannot be accepted) Click here to access the online order form.
Week 2 (Sept. 21-25) Curbside pick-up details:
- Tuesday, Sept. 22 from 4-5 p.m. OR
- Wednesday, Sept. 23 from 7-8 a.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 23 from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Where: Upper St. Clair High School Theater Entrance (click here for a detailed map)
Sept. 4, 2020 / Updated Sept. 17, 2020
ALL students to receive FREE school meals
Sign-Up weekly for curbside pick-up
Upper St. Clair School District will offer free breakfast and lunch to all students – regardless of ability to pay. Students can receive school meals each day whether they are learning in-person or at home.
Citing the unprecedented nature of the pandemic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture recently extended waivers nationwide that allow meals to be served to students in-person and/or via pick-up at no cost through the end of 2020 or until funding runs out.
The free meals for students apply to breakfast and lunch only. A meal will be cost-free if it meets national school lunch requirements. The nutrition center staff will coach students to build a meal that is compliant with these standards. Additional al a carte items as well as snacks or beverages will available for purchase.
The nutrition center is offering to-go meals for pick-up every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. and Wednesdays from 7-8 a.m. or 3:30-4:30 p.m. Currently, drive-thru meal pick-ups will occur at the Upper St. Clair High School theater entrance. Hybrid and fully remote families can select the day of pick-up that is most convenient for them. To-go meal packages are free; however, orders must be placed in advance.
To-go meal orders for curbside pick-up on Tuesday, Sept. 29 or Wednesday, Sept. 30 must be submitted by 9 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. (late orders cannot be accepted) Click here to access the online order form.
A couple things to please keep in mind:
- Be sure to mark your calendar for your pick up time and/or post a reminder on your phone or fridge. The district receives federal reimbursement for qualifying meals that are distributed to Upper St. Clair families. Orders that are placed but not picked up create a financial burden for the district.
- Regardless of the number of children in your family, you only need to place one order per week. We have noticed that some are placing multiple orders.
- For planning purposes, based on other similar drive-thru events, it tends to be busiest at the very start of the pick-up window. And, Tuesday has a far greater number of pick-up orders than Wednesday morning and afternoon.
Students enrolled in hybrid learning are able to receive breakfast and lunch from the school’s nutrition center each day they attend in-person. In addition, a to-go meal package that includes three lunches and three breakfasts will be offered for curbside pick-up for the three days of remote learning.
Fully remote learners are able to receive a to-go meal package via curbside pick-up that includes five lunches and five breakfasts.
To receive to-go meal packages, families must complete the online order form by 9 a.m. on Monday of the preceding week. This webpage will be updated weekly with the new online order form.
Meals are intended for children, ages 18 and under, who reside in your household. While the to-go meals will offer a variety of nutritionally-balanced, kid-friendly foods; please note the meals will not follow the menus for our in-person school nutrition centers. To-go meals will include proper refrigeration/freezer storage and reheating instructions. Many thanks to Schneider's Dairy for its gracious contribution of free use of its refrigerated truck to support this program!
While there is no cost to participate in the meal program, families are encouraged to apply for free/reduced price school meals. Eligible families may qualify for additional benefits and services.
For more information about school meals, please contact Ashley Lindhurst, food service director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions or concerns regarding your personal circumstances, please contact Lauren Madia, assistant director of student support services, at email@example.com.