Weekly Recap for Friday, Sept. 10, 2021
Elementary Open House
Over the past week, our administrative team has continued to discuss and plan for our re-scheduled Elementary Open Houses. The Open Houses will occur from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 29th. Elementary students will be dismissed from school at 12:45 p.m. on that day. Please mark your calendars. More detailed information, including specific information regarding the schedule for kindergarten, will be sent to elementary families early next week.
Eighth graders place second in video contest
A team of Fort Couch Middle School students recently placed second in the Take a Shot at Changing the World video contest. Eighth graders Kaia Petrick, Anoushka Barve and Sara Gillespie created a two-minute video to show the necessary link between science and creativity in coming up with vaccines for COVID, or in any other scientific breakthrough. Read more
Two seniors named Program Scholars by the College Board
Two Upper St. Clair High School seniors have earned recognition as Program Scholars from the College Board for their academic achievements and outstanding performance on the PSAT and/or AP. Samari Dreher was named a National African American Recognition Program Scholar and George Atencio was named a National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar. Read more
Apply now for ETC Program fall cohort
The Upper St. Clair School District is now accepting applications for the fall cohort of its Extended Teacher Certification (ETC) Program for non-educators who are interested in serving as substitute teachers. The program is aimed at those who hold a bachelor’s degree in any subject from an accredited college or university but do not have a Pennsylvania teaching certificate.
Interested candidates can learn more during one of two in-person informational meetings, which are set for 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 15 in the district’s administration building and 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 16 in the Upper St. Clair High School LGI room. Read more | Register to attend an informational meeting
9/11 SHOP@USC Fundraiser
This year marks the 20th anniversary of September 11, 2001. To remember and honor the lives that were lost on that tragic day, while recognizing the heroic efforts of the first-responders, the SHOP@USC program will be donating all proceeds from the sales of three specially-designed items to the Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial. These items will only be available through Nov. 15, 2021. Read more
ALL students to receive FREE school meals
Upper St. Clair School District will once again offer free breakfast and lunch to ALL students – regardless of ability to pay. The U.S. Department of Agriculture extended universal free lunch through the 2021-22 school year. Free meals for students must meet national school lunch requirements, which includes taking fruits and/or vegetables. The nutrition center staff will coach students to build a meal that is compliant with these standards. Read more
2021-22 Athletic Passes now on sale
Athletic Passes for both students and adults are now on sale for Upper St. Clair School District sports fans. One, two and three-season passes are available through the district’s Athletics Office. Read more
- Girls Volleyball Loses Heartbreaker To Bethel Park
- Girls Tennis Defeats West Allegheny
- USC Girls Soccer Battle Peters To 2-2 Draw
- Field Hockey Comes Up Short To Winchester Thurston
- Girls Varsity Volleyball Defeats Peters Township
- Boys Golf Defeats Canon Mac
- Girls Golf Falls To South Fayette
- USC Girls Soccer Opens Season With West Mifflin Tournament
- USC Girls Volleyball Places Second In Canon McMillan Opening Weekend Tournament
- USC Cross Country Competes At The Marty Uher California Invite
- Boys Soccer Team Opens Season At Plum Tournament
- USC Football Falls To Mount Lebanon
In case you missed it…
- Learning process continues at USC, South Fayette
- Mt. Lebanon dominates early in 36-13 win against Upper St. Clair
- Alex Tecza, Mt. Lebanon teammates jump on Upper St. Clair to improve to 2-0
Parent Teacher Council
Upcoming PTC & Unit Meetings:
- PTC: Wednesday, Oct. 6, 7 p.m.
- USCHS PTSO: Wednesday, Sept. 22, 9:30 a.m.
- Fort Couch PTSO: Tuesday, Sept. 21, 9:30 a.m.
- Boyce PTO: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 9:30 a.m., register online
- Baker PTA: Thursday, Sept. 16, 10 a.m.
- Eisenhower PTO: Friday, Sept. 10, 9:30 a.m.
- Streams PTO: Tuesday, Sept. 14, 9:30 a.m. AND 6 p.m., register online
- Registration for USC Odyssey of the Mind is open! It's time to get creative! Registration for Odyssey of the Mind is now available online! We are now forming in person teams for the 2021-2022 season. To register, visit uscootm.com and click on the red button registration link on the home page. Registration will remain open until Sept. 21. For more information about this fun STEAM program, please visit www.uscootm.com or plan to attend one of two "What is OM?" informational sessions on Monday, Sept. 13. The 9 a.m. will be in person at the Community Rec Center. The 7 p.m. session will be virtual. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to join the call.
13: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
14: Streams PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m. AND 6 p.m., register online
15: Boyce PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m., register online
15: Fort Couch Picture Day, 8:45-11 a.m.
16: Baker PTA meeting, 10 a.m.
21: High School Picture Day
21: Eisenhower 4th Level Breakfast, 7:30 a.m.
21: Streams Room Parent meeting, 9:30 a.m.
21: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
22: High School PTSO & PAC meeting, 9:30 a.m., virtual
23: High School Open House, 7 p.m.
23: High School EARLY DISMISSAL (12:35 p.m.)
24: First quarter progress reports
26: Homecoming Parade & Powder Puff Game, 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
28: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
29: Elementary Open House
29: Elementary EARLY DISMISSAL (12:45 p.m.)
29-Oct. 1: Boyce Scholastic Book Fair
30: Streams Kindergarten Open Mic, 9:30 a.m.
30: Boyce Open House, 7 p.m.
30: Boyce EARLY DISMISSAL (1:15 p.m.)
1: Homecoming Football Game & Homecoming Court
2: Homecoming Dance, 7:30-10 p.m., USCHS stadium
5: Streams School Picture Day
6: PTC meeting, 7 p.m., virtual
7: Eisenhower School Picture Day
7: Baker School Picture Day
7: Fort Couch EARLY DISMISSAL (1:15 P.M.)
7: Fort Couch Open House, 7 p.m.
11: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
13: PSAT at USCHS
15: Early Dismissal for Students
19: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
19: HS Choir/Orchestra Concert, 7 p.m., Theater
19: South Hills Joint College Fair, 6-9 p.m.
20: South Hills Joint College Fair, 6-9 p.m.
22: Halls of Fame
25: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
27: HS Principals Advisory Committee (PAC) meeting, 9:30 a.m., virtual
28: HS Junior Parent Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
29: Financial Aid Night, 6:30 p.m., virtual
29: First Quarter Marking Period Ends
29: Elementary Harvest Parties
Come join our team! There are several permanent and substitute openings in the Upper St. Clair School District. Please share our list of openings with friends and family who may be interested.
The district has recently increased pay rates for several substitute positions including the following:
- Substitute Bus Drivers $22.50/hour
- Substitute Custodians $14/hour
- Substitute Nurses $150/day
- Substitute Teacher Aides $15/hour
- Substitute Bus Attendants $15/hour
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- Assistant Athletic Director
- Assistant Rifle Coach
- ETC Substitute Teacher (non-certificated)
- Full-Time Floater Drivers
- Theater Assistant Technician
- Librarian (Long-Term Substitute)
- Health Room Aide (Temporary)
- School Psychologist
- Custodial Manager
- Bus Attendant
- Substitute Van Driver
- Van Driver (CDL not needed)
- Maintenance Technician
- Nutrition Center General Worker
- Marching Band - Instrument Instructor
- Nutrition Center General Worker (USC High School)
- Bus driver
- Substitute Teachers
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: Low-income families still have time to sign up for advance child tax credit payments
- NEW: Register for USC Odyssey of the Mind - deadline Sept. 21
- Soccer Night: Sept. 16
- Healthy Kids Running Series (gr. 2-8): starting Sept. 19
- Virtual Library Programs for September
- Pennsylvania's Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Allegheny County Health Department: COVID Vaccine
- Allegheny County Health Department: COVID-19 Testing
- And more…