Weekly Recap for Friday, Oct. 18, 2019
Curriculum leader earns national teaching award
Steve Miller, Upper St. Clair High School mathematics teacher and curriculum leader, has been named a recipient of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics & Science Teaching. He is one of 215 in the United States and four in Pennsylvania to earn this honor. Read more
Senior named National Hispanic Scholar
Upper St. Clair High School senior Sarah Besser has been recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar by the College Board for scoring in the top 2.5 percent among Hispanic and Latino PSAT test takers in the region. Read more
Grades 5-8: Register now for Fall Blast this Saturday, Oct. 19
The Youth Steering Committee of Upper St. Clair is hosting its Fall Blast from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 19 at the Community & Recreation Center. The event, designed for tweens and teens in grades five through eight, offers a variety of activities including a dodge ball tournament, bingo, giant Jenga, an inflatable attraction as well as a DJ and more. The cost is $10 per student with a maximum cost of $20 per family. Read more
USCHS mentors host Freshman Field Day
The Upper St. Clair High School mentor program hosted its 11th annual Freshman Field Day event for ninth graders and their junior mentors on Friday, Oct. 11, 2019, at the high school stadium. The event was led by a team of four seniors, who serve as super mentors – Karlie Daschbach, Gavin Genter, Paige Roeschenthaler and Ellie Tetrick. Read more and view photos
Partners in Education program set for Oct. 28
Upper St. Clair School District’s Partners in Education (PIE) committee will host its first event of the school year at 9 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 28, 2019, in the Fort Couch Middle School large group instruction room. Attendees will have the opportunity to hear from a parent panel to learn about their journey in special education, the resources that have been a support to their children, and the successes that have come out of collaboration and experiences. Read more
Join an UnSelfie book discussion group
Engage in a lively discussion of Dr. Michele Borba's acclaimed book “UnSelfie: Raising Caring, Successful Kids in a Plugged-In, Trophy-Driven World” by joining one several book discussion groups. UnSelfie explains what parents and educators must do to combat the growing empathy crisis among children today. These are great forums to share perspectives about the book in preparation for Dr. Borba's presentation at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 11 in the USCHS theater. Read more
Fall play set for Oct. 24, 26 and 27
Upper St. Clair High School’s Performing Arts Department will present the play, “Almost Maine,” written by John Cariani. Directed by Larry Cervi, the curtain rises at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 24 and Saturday, Oct. 26. Afternoon matinees are offered at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 26 and Sunday, Oct. 27. All shows will be held in the Upper St. Clair High School theatre. Ticket prices are $8 for adults and $6 for students. Online ticket sales begin at noon on Saturday, Oct. 12 at www.usctheater.org. Read more
Women’s evening lecture series kicks off Oct. 29
Upper St. Clair School District will host its first “Sharing Her Story” from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 29 in the Boyce Middle School library. The event, part of the uscGAL initiative, is free and open to the public. The goal of the event is to provide a forum for attendees to hear the life story of successful women, to reflect on their own experiences and to offer an opportunity for girls and women to network and form authentic connections. Read more
Author of “UnSelfie” to speak at USCHS Nov. 11
Internationally recognized child development expert and best-selling author Dr. Michele Borba will deliver a presentation for parents and educators from 7-8:30 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, in the Upper St. Clair High School theater. Titled, “UnSelfie: Raising caring, successful kids in a plugged-in, trophy-driven world,” the program is free and open to the public. Read more
Open Mic set for Nov. 20
The Upper St. Clair Parent Teacher Council will host its semiannual Open Mic at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, in the Boyce Middle School theater. The focus for the evening will be on student wellness. Read more
- Boys And Girls Soccer – WPIAL Playoff Information!!!!
- USC Tennis Fall To Fox Chapel In WPIAL Semifinals!
- Nathan Piatt and Scott Jordan Advance To PIAA State Finals!
- Congratulations USC Golfer Tori Slagle
- USC Tennis Advance In WPIAL Playoffs
- USC Field Hockey Defeats Oakland Catholic In Overtime
- Girls Soccer Defeats Mt. Lebanon In Regular Season Final
- Boys Soccer Lose To North Allegheny In Overtime
- USC Crew Take Gold In “Head Of The Ohio” Competition
- USC Girls Golf Wins WPIAL Championships!!
- USC Boys Golf Finish Second In WPIAL Championships!
- USC Girls Tennis Gets Win In WPIAL Team Tournament
- USC Football Comes Up Short Against Moon
In case you missed it…
- 2 Pittsburgh-Area Teachers Honored By White House (USC’s Steve Miller)
- Upper St. Clair Math Teacher Receives National Honor
- Upper St. Clair Student Named National Hispanic Scholar
- Piatt runner-up
- Perennial power Upper St. Clair set for another girls soccer playoff run
- Upper St. Clair swimmer Josh Matheny commits to Indiana
- Upper St. Clair swimmer commits to IU
- Upper St. Clair swimming star Josh Matheny commits to Indiana
- World Juniors Gold Medalist Josh Matheny Sends Huge Verbal to Indiana
- #4 in 2021, World Jr Champ Josh Matheny Makes Verbal Commitment Indiana
- President Donald J. Trump Announces Presidential Excellence Awards in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering (Steven Miller, Upper St. Clair High School)
- Upper St. Clair High School Teachers Rank Among PA's Best: Study
- Coaches association releases Week 7 WPIAL girls volleyball rankings (Morgan Wieczewski, junior, outside hitter, Upper St. Clair)
- The Almanac: What's Happening Oct. 13 (USCHS fall play, Women’s Lecture Series, Michele Borba)
- These are the best school districts in Pa.: Niche.com (USC ranks #10)
- Upper St. Clair finish runner-up in boys golf
- Defense leads Moon to big win against Upper St. Clair
- No ‘doormat’: Moon tied for 1st after defeating Upper St. Clair
19: PSAT exam
19: Thespian Club Cabaret, 7 p.m., High School LGI
19: Fall Blast (gr. 5-8), 6:30-8:30, CRC
21: National School Bus Safety Week
22: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
24: Fall Play – “Almost Maine,” 7:30 p.m., High School theater
26: Fall Play – “Almost Maine,” 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., High School theater
27: Fall Play – “Almost Maine,” 2 p.m., High School theater
28: Partners in Education (PIE) program, 9 a.m., Fort Couch LGI
28: School Board meeting, 7 p.m., District Admin. Building (adjacent to the stadium) location change
29: Streams Picture Make-ups
29: USCgal – Women’s Lecture Series, 7-8:30 p.m., Boyce library
30: First Marking Period Ends
30: Elem. Harvest Parties
30: Baker Fourth Grade Hay Ride, 6 p.m., Simmons Farm
31: NO SCHOOL, Teacher Inservice
31: Halloween, USC Trick-or-Treat, 6-8 p.m.
1: NO SCHOOL, Teacher Inservice
4: Fort Couch Band & Community Band South Combined Concert, 7 p.m., High School theatre
5: Choral Booster meeting, 7 p.m., High School Choir Room
6: PTC meeting, 9:30 a.m., Boyce LGI (location change)
6: High School Junior Parent meeting, 7 p.m., High School theatre
7: Eisenhower Picture Retake Day
7: High School Picture Retake Day
7: Baker PTA meeting, 10 a.m.
7: Fort Couch Social, 7 p.m.
7: High School Fall Instrumental Concert, 7 p.m., High School theatre
11: NO SCHOOL, Teacher Inservice
11: Baker Fall Book Fair
11: UnSelfie with Dr. Michele Borba, 7 p.m., High School theater
12: Streams PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
13: Report Cards – First Marking Period
14: Streams Book Swap
14: Eisenhower Night @ USC Township Library, 6 p.m.
14: Streams – Snuggle Up & Read, 6:30 p.m.
15: Streams Book Swap
15: Eisenhower PTO meeting, 9 a.m.
18: FAFSA Completion Night, 6:30 p.m.
18: School Board Committee meeting, 7 p.m., District Administration Building
19: Baker Chipotle Spirit Night
19: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
19: High School Jazz Ensemble Concert, 7 p.m.
20: PTC Superintendent’s Open Mic, 7 p.m., Boyce theater
23: High School Choir Madrigal Dinner, 5 p.m., Westminster Church
25: School Board Committee meeting, 7 p.m., District Administration Building
26: Blood Drive, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m., High School LGI
27: NO SCHOOL, Thanksgiving Recess
28: NO SCHOOL, Thanksgiving Recess
29: NO SCHOOL, Thanksgiving Recess
Coming Up….Mark your Calendar:
July 20-24, 2020: Leadership Academy
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- High School Long-Term Substitute English Teacher
- High School Long-Term Substitute Math Teacher
- Bus Driver
- Part-time Nutrition Center Worker (2)
Substitute opportunities with flexibility: The school district is currently recruiting for several substitute positions including teachers, school nurses, teacher aides, nutrition center workers, custodians and bus drivers. These are great opportunities for those with school-age children as most follow the school calendar. Only work the days you’re available!!! Apply online!
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: Afterschool STEM: Oct. 23 and 30
- NEW: SiLLy SCienCE: Oct. 26, Nov. 9 and 23, Dec. 14
- NEW: Celebrate Diwali: Oct. 26 and 27
- NEW: College Alternatives: Information Session - Oct. 28
- NEW: Sensory Time: An Adapted Program – Nov. 6, 13, 20, 27
- NEW: Paws for Reading: Nov. 7
- NEW: Pin It: An Evening of Pin Making - Nov. 7
- NEW: Play K at the Library: Nov. 7-Dec. 19
- Boys Lacrosse Boosters Golf Outing: Oct. 20
- Block Kids Competition (gr. 1-6): Oct. 20
- Reading Skills for Kindergarteners: Oct. 21 & Nov. 4
- Dance Explorations at the CRC: Mondays thru Oct. 23
- STEM Spooktacular Day: Oct. 26
- Girls (gr. 3-8) Lacrosse Registration & Kick-Off Meeting: Nov. 5
- ACT/SAT Practice Tests: Nov. 9
- And more…
Tina Vojtko, Communications Specialist
Upper St. Clair School District