Weekly Recap for Friday, Jan. 27, 2023
- Friday, Feb. 17: NO SCHOOL – Teacher-in-Service
- Monday, Feb. 20: NO SCHOOL – Teacher-in-Service
Four named Presidential Scholar candidates
Four Upper St. Clair High School seniors were recently named candidates in the 2023 U.S. Presidential Scholars Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education. Carter L. Chui, Jasmine F. Dietiker, Matthew Earley and Jason Lu were selected for their outstanding performance on the SAT or ACT exam. They are among 198 Pennsylvania students to earn this honor. Read more
Junior presents at national biomedical engineering conference
For many, public speaking (on any topic) can evoke anxiety, nervousness and fear. Imagine presenting at the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) National Conference at age 16. Meet Priyasha Itani, a junior at Upper St. Clair High School, who clearly possesses superpowers. Priyasha presented her research, titled “The Cellular and Tissue Level Analysis of Endometriosis Angiogenesis,” at the conference on Oct. 14, 2022, in San Antonio, Texas. Read more
USCHS orchestra performs for first graders
Nearly 300 Upper St. Clair first graders enjoyed an orchestra concert designed specifically for them on Thursday, Jan. 26, 2023, at Upper St. Clair High School. The inaugural event was planned by Christine Hestwood, middle school strings teacher and high school orchestra conductor. Read more and view photos
Band director honored; Wind ensemble completes university tour
Dr. John Seybert, Upper St. Clair High School band director, was recently honored with the Citation of Excellence Award from the National Band Association. He received the Citation of Excellence Award during the Marywood University Senior Wind Band Festival. It was one stop of the Upper St. Clair High School Wind Ensemble’s recent university tour. Read more and view photos
Four participate in health professions program at Pitt
Four Upper St. Clair High School students have been selected to participate in the Health Professions Prep (HPP) program at the University of Pittsburgh. Participants include juniors Alexandra Berkoski and Mackenzie Mitchum and sophomores Josh Anand and Kaarthikha Senthilkumar. Read more
February 2023 Counseling Newsletter
The February edition of the Counseling Newsletter has been posted. This month’s publication features news and information regarding a range of topics including financial aid, college and career planning, the upcoming College Fair, job postings, social media issues, teen issues, and more. Read the February Counseling Newsletter
Kindergarten registration begins Feb. 1
Online kindergarten registration for the 2023-24 school year begins Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2023. Students must be 5 years of age on or before Sept. 1, 2023, to register. Read more
Apply now for ETC Program spring cohort
USCSD is currently recruiting for the spring 2023 cohort of the Extended Teacher Certification (ETC) Program for non-educators who are interested in serving as substitute teachers. Apply online by Feb. 13. To learn more about the program, contact Aimee Mack at email@example.com. Read more
Student drivers attend safety program
Nearly 300 Upper St. Clair High School student drivers attended a Ford Driving Skills for Life assembly on Jan. 24, 2023, in the school’s theater. All students with a campus parking pass were required to attend the 50-minute program. The assembly focused on five main topics: hazard recognition, vehicle handling, space management, speed management and driving under the influence. Read more and view photos
- Girls basketball pushes win streak to seven after double-digit victory over Peters Township
- Wrestling falls to Mt. Lebanon
- Spring track & field meeting information – Feb. 1
- Cheerleading food drive fundraiser information
- Rifle wins second straight match
- Boys basketball suffers one point loss against Fox Chapel
- Girls basketball downs Norwin in battle of top ranked teams
- Indoor track and field heads to Edinboro for second meet of season
- Wrestling competes in Burgettstown Invitational and Allegheny County Tournament
- Boys basketball falls in non-section matchup with Allderdice
- Bocce moves to 2-0 with victory over Thomas Jefferson
- Swimming & Diving defeats South Fayette
- Rifle team defeats Wash HS
In case you missed it…
- 198 Pennsylvania Students Named 2023 U.S. Presidential Scholar Candidates (USC - Carter L. Chui, Jasmine F. Dietiker, Matthew Earley and Jason Lu)
- Area basketball teams head for the home stretch
- USC students selected for HPP program at Pitt
- Sophomore Rylee Kalocay proves to be WPIAL standout at Upper St. Clair
- Driving Skills for Life at Upper St. Clair High School
- PG: High school basketball rankings (USC boys rank # 5; USC girls rank #1)
- Trib HSSN girls basketball state rankings for Jan. 24, 2023 (USC ranks #3 in PA)
- Fort Couch advances to national Future City competition
- Upper St. Clair raises money for Make-A-Wish
- Upper St. Clair students picked for PMEA festival
- After big win vs. Norwin, Upper St. Clair girls surge to top of class in 6A — for now
- Girls basketball: Upper St. Clair uses defense to stop Norwin
- Upper St. Clair knocks off Norwin in clash of 6A contenders
- WPIAL girls basketball rankings: Week ending Jan. 22, 2023 (USC ranks #2)
- WPIAL boys basketball rankings: Week ending Jan. 22, 2023 (USC ranks #5)
Parent Teacher Council
Upcoming PTC & Unit Meetings:
- PTC: 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 1 – virtual
- USCHS PTSO: 9:30 a.m., Thursday, March 9
- Fort Couch PTSO: 9:30 a.m.; Tuesday, March 21, register to attend
- Boyce PTO: 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 8
- Baker PTA: 9:30 a.m.; Thursday, April 13
- Eisenhower PTO: 9:30 a.m.; Friday, April 14
- Streams PTO: 9:30 a.m., Friday, March 17
Elementary & Middle School Spelling Bees
Registration is currently open for all five district Spelling Bees. Information has been sent to families via email. All Bees are taking place at their respective school immediately following dismissal. Boyce has a pre-test due to the large number of registrants. For information, contact Sarah Cranganu, PTC Spelling Bee chairperson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fort Couch Middle School: Tuesday, Jan. 31
28: USCHS Semiformal Dance, 7:30 p.m., USCHS
31: 8th Grade Parent Meeting, 6:30 p.m., USCHS theater
31: Fort Couch Spelling Bee, 3:30 p.m. (rain date – Feb. 1)
1: Kindergarten Registration begins
1: PTC meeting, 9:30 a.m., virtual
2: Eisenhower Kindergarten Social, 6:30 p.m.
3: Second Quarter Report Cards
3: Streams Bingo, 5:30-8 p.m.
4: Auxiliary Clinic, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m.
6-10: National School Counseling Week
7: College Seminar: Becoming a Competitive College Applicant, 6:30 p.m., USCHS theater
8: Boyce PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
9: Boyce Deer Valley Parent Meeting, 7 p.m.
9: Fort Couch Social, 7 p.m.
11: Baker Bingo, 5-7 p.m., Boyce cafeteria
13: Boyce Pride
13-16: Boyce Random Acts of Kindness Week
15: Streams Kindergarten Open Mic, 9 a.m.
15: Streams Kindergarten Special Level Night, 6 p.m.
17: NO SCHOOL - teacher-in-service
20: NO SCHOOL - teacher-in-service
21: Boyce Grade 6 Pennsylvania Math League, 8:45 a.m.
21: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
22: School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
23: Eisenhower 2nd Level Social, 6:30 p.m.
24: Baker Second Grade Social, 5:30 p.m.
24: Baker Read-a-Thon begins
27: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
1: Baker Bedtime Stories
1: PTC meeting, 9:30 a.m.
2-3: Streams Book Swap
2: Boyce Battle of the Books
2: Streams Snuggle Up and Read, 6:30-8 p.m.
2: Eisenhower Reading Night, 6:30 p.m.
3: USCHS Musical, On the 20th Century, 7:30 p.m.
4: Baker 1st Grade Social, 6 p.m.
4: USCHS Musical, On the 20th Century, 7:30 p.m.
5: USCHS Musical, On the 20th Century, 2 p.m.
6: Boyce Pride
7: Baker 3rd Grade Social, 6:30 p.m.
8: Streams 1st Grade Open Mic, 9:30 a.m.
8: Streams 1st Grade Special Level Night, 6:30 p.m.
8: Boyce PTO meeting
9: USCHS Musical, On the 20th Century, 7:30 p.m.
9: USCHS PTSO, 9:30 a.m. LGI
10: USCHS Musical, On the 20th Century, 7:30 p.m.
11: USCHS Musical, On the 20th Century, 7:30 p.m.
15: Streams 2nd Grade Open Mic, 9:30 a.m.
15: Streams 2nd Grade Special Level Night, 6:30 p.m.
17: Streams PTO: 9:30 a.m.
20: Baker Kindergarten Social, 6 p.m.
21: Fort Couch PTSO: 9:30 a.m., register to attend
22: Streams 3rd Grade Special Level Night, 9:30 a.m.
22: Streams 3rd Grade Open Mic, 6:30 p.m.
23: Eisenhower 3rd Grade Social
27: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
28: USCHS Pop Choral Concert, 7 p.m.
29: Streams 4th Grade Special Level Night, 9:30 a.m.
29: Streams 4th Grade Open Mic, 6:30 p.m.
30: Third Quarter Marking Period Ends
30: PMEA Music Performance Assessments
31: NO SCHOOL – teacher-in-service
Come join our team! There are several permanent and substitute openings in the Upper St. Clair School District. Please share our list of openings with friends and family who may be interested.
Full and Part-time Openings
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- Teacher Aide
- Teacher: High School Long-Term Substitute English
- High School Long-term Substitute Social Studies Teacher
- Temporary Teacher Aide
- Teacher: Elementary Long Term Substitute (2 positions)
- Boys' Assistant Varsity Volleyball Coach
- Custodial Manager
- Teacher Aide
- Teacher: Middle School LTS Music Teacher- 5th and 6th grade
- ETC Substitute Teacher (non-certified)
- Assistant Coach: High School Wrestling
- Custodian (Multiple Positions)
- Temporary Teacher Aide
- Nutrition Center General Worker
- Bus Attendant
- Mechanic Co-op Student Worker
Increased pay rates for several substitute positions:
- Bus Drivers: $22.50/hour
- Cafeteria Workers: $13/hour
- Secretaries: $15/hour
- Custodians: $15/hour
- Teacher Aides: $15/hour
- Bus Attendants: $15/hour
- Van Drivers: $18/hour
- Teachers: $150/day
- Nurses: $150/day
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: Track Camp (gr. K-8): April 3-5
- 8th Grade Boys AAU tryouts: Jan. 28
- Pittsburgh Youth Chorus – enroll by Jan. 31
- STEM Adventure Camp (ages 6-14): June-July
- USC Auxiliary Clinic - Feb. 4
- Softball Boosters Comedy Night - Feb. 4
- U.S. Youth Volleyball League - register for spring
- USC Girls Youth Lacrosse - register now for spring
- Pennsylvania's Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- And more…