Weekly Recap for Friday, April 16, 2021
USC named Best Community for Music Education
Upper St. Clair School District has been named among the nation’s Best Communities for Music Education by the NAMM Foundation for the sixth consecutive year. Upper St. Clair is one of only 16 school districts in Allegheny County, 109 in Pennsylvania and 686 from across the country to earn the distinction in 2021. Read more
2021 Summer Programs – register online
USCSD is pleased to offer several summer experiences for students at all levels. Online registration is now open. Please note that many programs have limited enrollment due to capacity restrictions and/or COVID-19 safety guidelines. Read more
USC students excel at state math challenge
Upper St. Clair students in grades five through 12 earned high honors in the recent Pennsylvania Mathematics League (PML) contest. The PML specializes in conducting math contests designed to stimulate student interest and confidence in mathematics. Read more
Report cards: Third Marking Period now posted
Student report cards for the third marking period are available in Focus/Parent Portal. To access:
- Visit the Focus Parent Portal and log in using your username and password. Your username is the email address associated with the account.
- Once logged in, you will see the name of your student(s) on the right half of the page. Below the name you will see a list of tabs. Click the tab labeled Reports.
- In the Reports section, you will a list of all available student reports. Click the Report Card report and depending on the device you are using the report will either download to your computer or open in a new window for you to view.
- If you need additional assistance, click here for directions with screenshots.
PSSA (gr. 3-8) & Keystone Exam Testing Schedules
Recently, the U.S. Department of Education announced that schools are required to administer annual state achievement tests for the 2020-2021 school year, although certain flexibility in testing dates and participation requirements would be offered to states. In Pennsylvania, the test administration window has been extended to allow school districts to administer the assessments to more students and to allow for applicable health and safety protocols.
National School Lunch Program & Associated Benefits
Throughout the school year, all children ages 0-18 in the USC community have been able to receive free school meals in school or via our curbside meal pick-up program. These free meals are available without applying or qualifying for the National School Lunch Program. Families who complete the application and qualify under the National School Lunch Program may be eligible for additional benefits. These benefits may include additional temporary emergency nutrition benefits and/or Emergency Broadband Benefits, among others. Families are encouraged to complete the online application to see if they qualify.
2021-22 ONLINE Kindergarten registration now open
We are super excited to welcome the USC Class of 2034!!! Families can now complete the online registration through the district’s Focus/Parent Portal. Click here to get started!
Curbside Meal Orders / Pick-Up
We are now accepting to-go meal orders for curbside pick-up for the Week of April 26. Curbside meal pick-up will be available from 3-5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28. Orders must be submitted by 9 a.m. this Monday, April 19. Click here to access the online order form.
As a reminder, curbside meal pick-up is limited to fully remote students; half-day kindergarten students; and USC residents who have non-USCSD students age 18 and under. In-person students in grades 1-12 can receive FREE lunch daily via the schools’ nutrition centers – including a to-go meal on Wednesdays.
Thank you for remembering to wear your mask during pick-up. Please Note: If you or a member of your household are ill, under quarantine orders, or are in isolation, please reply to this email and we will identify needed arrangements to provide your family's meals.
We are in need of volunteers to help with meal distribution. This is a great chance to see families, get fresh air and a little bit of physical activity, and be of service to our community. Since September, we have distributed over 200,000 meals to USC children!
Who can volunteer?
- Any staff/caregiver with current volunteer clearances
- Any high school student
- Any student under high school age who is volunteering with his/her parent
As always, volunteers must meet all daily screening requirements, wear a mask, use clean hands, and keep a safe distance from others. Click here to sign-up for one or more afternoons.
- USC Girls Lacrosse Gets Big Win Over Mount Lebanon
- USC Softball Gets Win Over Western Beaver
- Tennis Gets Win Over Mount Lebanon
- USC Baseball Defeats Canon Mac
- Boys Lacrosse Continue Winning Ways With Win Over Peters
- Girls Lacrosse Earn Win vs Peters
- Boys Tennis Remain Undefeated
- USC Boys Volleyball Falls To Peters Township
- USC Baseball Falls To Canon Mac In Close Game 6-4
- Boys And Girls Track Perform Well At South Hills Invite
- Congratulations Ethan Dahlem
- USC Girls Lacrosse Suffer First Loss Of Season
- USC Baseball Gets Win Over Pine-Richland
- Boys Lacrosse Gets Section Win
In case you missed it…
- Pitzer slugs South Fayette past Upper St. Clair
- WPIAL Softball - Peters Township at Upper St. Clair: Broadcast
- WPIAL awards $1,000 scholarships to 20 scholar-athletes, cancels luncheon (USC – Sophia Shi)
- Rauch, Josefoski net volleyball honors (Porter Rauch, USC junior)
- Upper St. Clair leads list of Almanac boys all-stars
- Upper St. Clair High School students qualify for National Technical Honor Society
- Nine Upper St. Clair students named to all-state ensembles
- WPIAL volleyball coaches rankings (USC #9; Class AAA Player of the Week - Porter Rauch, junior, middle hitter, USC)
- Canon-McMillan baseball gets past Upper St. Clair in a wild one
- 2021 WPIAL and City League Girls Basketball All-Section Teams (Kate Robbins)
- 2021 WPIAL and City League Boys Basketball All-Section Teams (Luke Gensler & David Pantelis)
Parent Teacher Council
Upcoming Unit Meetings:
- USCHS PTSO: May 19, 9:30
The High School PTSO is looking for volunteers that may be interested in joining the PTSO board and committees. Opening positions include: First Vice President - this is a 3-year commitment; Secretary; and Membership Chair. Any questions about PTSO and the exec board or committees can be forwarded to Beth Thomas at email@example.com or 412-865-9865.
- Fort Couch PTSO: April 20, 7:30 p.m.
- Boyce PTO: May 19, 9:30 a.m.
- Baker PTA: May 11, 10 a.m.
- Eisenhower PTO: May 14, 9:30 a.m.
- Streams PTO: May 11, 6 p.m.
PTC News & Information:
- Our next PTC meeting is set for 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 5.
- The PTC Wellness Committee welcomes 4 speakers from NAMI's In Our Own Voice Hear from individuals who share what it's like to live with a mental health diagnosis while offering hope and providing insight into their recovery. Virtual programs at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28: Register: https://tinyurl.com/NAMIregistrationform
- The PTC will be hosting an Essential School Worker Gratitude Drive for the month of April. Please leave words of gratitude and/or monetary gift at https://www.uscsd.k12.pa.us/domain/53. Deadline is May 6! Thank you!
- Informational Meeting for Gifted Education: Are you curious about gifted and talented education (GATE) in the Upper St. Clair School District? If so, please join us for a virtual meeting at 12 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28. Director of Special Education Cassandra Doggrell and Director of Pupil Services Lauren Madia, will be on hand to discuss what is gifted; gifted education in USC; staffing; the process for identifying and evaluating giftedness; and resources for parents. Learn more | RSVP online
20: Fort Couch, PTSO meeting, 7:30 p.m.
20: Boyce Grade 5 PML Contest 2-3:30 p.m., Boyce Cafeteria
27: School Board meeting, 7 p.m. (note: this meeting is on a Tuesday)
28: PTC Wellness Committee program – In Our Own Voice, 10 a.m. and 7 p.m., virtual
28: Gifted and talented education informational meeting, 12 p.m., virtual – register online
30: USCHS Decision Day Picnic (seniors only), 10:10-11:50 a.m., USCHS stadium
5: PTC meeting, 9:30 a.m.
6: Boyce English Festival
7: Boyce English Festival
10: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
10: USCHS Spring Choral Concert, 7 p.m., Theater/Live Streamed
11: Fourth Marking Period Progress Reports
11-13: Eisenhower Book Fair, virtual
11: Baker PTA meeting, 10 a.m.
11: Streams PTO meeting, 6 p.m.
12: USCHS Band Concert, 7 p.m., Theater/Live Streamed
13: USCHS Spring Musical - Smokey Joe's Café, Streamed via Broadway On Demand
14: Eisenhower, PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
14: USCHS Spring Musical - Smokey Joe's Café, Streamed via Broadway On Demand
15: USCHS Spring Musical - Smokey Joe's Café, Streamed via Broadway On Demand
16: USCHS Spring Musical - Smokey Joe's Café, Streamed via Broadway On Demand
17: USCHS Awards Night, 6:30 p.m., LGI and 7:15 p.m., theater
18: USCHS Jazz Concert, 7 p.m., Live streamed
19: USCHS 10th grade MYP Ceremony, 7 p.m., Students only – live streamed
19: Boyce PTO, 9:30 a.m.
20: USCHS Senior Picnic (seniors only), 10:10-11:50 a.m., USCHS stadium
25: National Honor Society Induction, 7 p.m., Stadium, live streamed
26: Rain date: National Honor Society Induction, 7 p.m., Stadium, live streamed
27: Rain date: USCHS Senior Picnic (seniors only), 10:10-11:50 a.m., USCHS stadium
27: Boyce Author’s Day
28: Boyce Author’s Day
Come join our team! There are several permanent and substitute openings in the Upper St. Clair School District. Please share our list of openings with friends and family who may be interested.
The district has recently increased pay rates for several substitute positions including the following:
- Substitute Bus Drivers $22.50/hour
- Substitute Custodians $14/hour
- Substitute Nurses $150/day
- Substitute Teacher Aides $15/hour
- Substitute Bus Attendants $15/hour
Summer Employment Opportunity
In addition to year-round substitutes, the District is currently seeking Summer Substitute Custodians:
- Summer Assignment: June 10 through Aug. 13, 2021 (may begin earlier, if schedule permits)
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. (40 hours with paid breaks and 30-minute unpaid lunch) - vacation requests will be honored
- OnBoarding: All onboarding requirements, including employment clearances, physical/TB test and drug test, must be successfully completed and at the candidates' expense.
- Pay Rate: $14.00 per hour
- Age Requirement: Candidates must be 18 years or older
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- Teacher: Middle School ELA Teacher
- Teacher: Middle School Physical Education/Health
- Teacher: Elementary Physical Education/Health
- Theater Assistant Technician
- Spring Musical: Sound Designer
- Head Custodian
- Marching Band Director
- Temporary Custodian
- Marching Band - Color Guard (Auxiliary) Coordinator
- Marching Band - Percussion Coordinator/Battery Instructor
- Marching Band - Assistant Director
- Maintenance Technician
- Annual Weekly Substitute (AWS) Teacher
- Nutrition Center General Worker (Fort Couch)
- Nutrition Center General Worker (USC High School)
- Bus driver
- Substitute Teachers
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: ZOOM Teen Craft Night: Book Page Flowers - April 21
- NEW: ZOOM Teen Cooking Demonstration: Fresh Guacamole, Chips & More - May 6
- NEW: ZOOM Paws for Reading - May 12
- NEW: ZOOM Story Time (ages 3-5) - Thursdays in May
- NEW: ZOOM Rhymes & Songs for Little Ones - Thursdays in May
- NEW: ZOOM Listen, Learn & Create (gr. K-4) - Wednesdays in May
- NEW: ZOOM Let’s Get Ready for Kindergarten - Tuesdays in May
- NEW: Community Foundation Duck Race - May 15
- NEW: ZOOM Teen Game Night: Apples to Apples - May 26
- NEW: PEAQ Competitive Swimming, all levels
- NEW: USCHS Youth Soccer Camp (boys & girls, pre-K-gr. 6) - July 26-29
- Boys Lacrosse - flower, plant and mulch sale, order thru April 25
- Inline Hockey Sign-Ups/Tryouts (gr. 2-12): May 19
- The Labsy Awards, deadline June 27
- Parkway West: FREE 2-Day Summer Camp, June 23-24 (gr. 5-8)
- And more…