Weekly Recap for Friday, Dec. 1, 2023
Did you know…
Curriculum development is the foundation of Upper St. Clair’s instructional program. There are two times during the school year that the formal curriculum development process takes place - January and June. USCSD’s curriculum development process follows several important steps:
- Curriculum leaders and department chairs prepare recommendations as a result of ongoing work with teachers, administrators, students and parents.
- Preliminary panel meetings are held and recommendations are reviewed by leadership teams at the elementary, middle school and high school levels.
- At a final panel, the revised and/or edited recommendations are reviewed again by K-12 discipline teams and Central Office administrators.
- The Deputy Superintendent and Director of Curriculum & Professional Development review the recommendations with a community curriculum input committee.
- The Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent and Director of Curriculum & Professional Development prepare administrative reactions to the recommendations.
- The recommendations are presented to the School Board for review and/or final approval.
Please note that Winter Break begins on Friday, Dec. 22 with a District-wide early dismissal. Dismissal times for all schools and the modified kindergarten schedule are posted on the District’s website and are listed on the 2023-24 School Calendar.
- Friday, Dec. 22: EARLY DISMISSAL (click for details)
- Monday, Dec. 25-Monday, Jan. 1: NO SCHOOL, OFFICES CLOSED – Winter Recess
Five advance to state DECA competition
Five Upper St. Clair High School students were among the top performers at the 2023 DECA District III Career Development Conference on Nov. 29, 2023, at Duquesne University. The students now advance to the state-level competition. Congratulations to Tanvi Kallur, Colin Liang, Ava Coury, Shreya Shokeen and Mana Barimani. Read more
Nine selected for UPMC cardiology program
Nine Upper St. Clair High School students are among the 50 selected for the 2024 I Look Like a Cardiologist program, sponsored by UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute. Participating students include juniors Edith Alford, Amir Alsahlani, Maren Davis, Hannah Del, Pritika Gupta and Kaarthikha Senthilkumar; as well as sophomores Mana Barimani, Anoushka Barve and Emma Hollingsworth. Read more
14 selected for district choir
Fourteen Upper St. Clair High School students successfully auditioned for the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association District 1 Choir on Nov. 20, 2023. The following students will represent Upper St. Clair at the PMEA District 1 Choir Festival: seniors Greg Boughner, Elliott Bruno, Reese Copenhaver, Daniel Elkoni, Phoebe Glunt, Adam Levine, Noah Levine and Brian McFerran; juniors Kriti Gupta, Tyler McClintock-Comeaux, Eitan Schwartz, Isabel Vilensky and Bailey Wells; and sophomore Arman Kethavath. Read more
2023 Fort Couch Reach Out campaign runs through Dec. 22
Every year, Fort Couch students team together to give back – to Reach Out – in and out of our community by raising funds to support organizations that are meaningful to us as a school family. This year’s organizations include the MS Society; Giant Eagle Gift Cards to USC Township Police Department (who distributes to families in need); Bike MS; and Hearts for Haiti (Hope for Haiti). In 2022, the Fort Couch Reach Out campaign raised more than $22,000. Read more
Flexible Instructional Days (FID) feature synchronous instruction/2-hour delay schedule
During the 2023-2024 school year, USCSD will be utilizing Flexible Instructional Days (FID) in place of a school day that would otherwise be canceled due to inclement weather or other emergency situation. Teachers will provide instruction remotely, following a 2-hour delay schedule. Read more
Nominations underway for PA Teacher of the Year
Nominations are currently being accepted for Pennsylvania’s 2025 Teacher of the Year. The Teacher of the Year program, sponsored by the Pa. Department of Education (PDE), celebrates excellence in teaching and honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the young people of Pennsylvania. Nominations will be accepted until Dec. 15, 2023. Learn more about Pennsylvania’s Teacher of the Year program on PDE’s website. Nominate a teacher today.
Join our USC team! Full and Part-time job opportunities…
Looking for a full or part-time job where you can make a meaningful impact on our school community? We have several exciting opportunities that might just be the perfect fit for you. Here are just a few of our top recruiting needs:
- Maintenance Technician (full-time, benefits)
- Nutrition Center General Worker (part-time)
- Cook (part-time, Streams Elem.)
- Athletics Calendar
- Home Events: Online Tickets | Panther Pass Info
- Boys Basketball Tip Off Tournament Info
- Track & Field Team Store
In case you missed it…
- WPIAL/City League girls basketball preview
- WPIAL/City League boys basketball preview
- 2023 Trib HSSN girls soccer all-stars (Sierra Dupre)
- Wrestling: WPIAL Class 3A section breakdowns for 2023-24 season
- Trib HSSN 2023-24 WPIAL Class 6A girls basketball preseason breakdown
- Trib HSSN 2023-24 WPIAL Class 6A boys basketball preseason breakdown
- 2023-24 WPIAL, City League girls high school basketball preview
- 2023-24 WPIAL, City League boys high school basketball preview
Parent Teacher Council
Upcoming PTC & Unit Meetings:
- PTC: 11:30 a.m., Wednesday, Dec. 6, register to attend
- USCHS PTSO: 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 10
- Fort Couch PTSO: 11:30 a.m., Tuesday, March 19
- Boyce PTO: 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14
- Baker PTA: 9:30 a.m., Thursday, Jan. 18
- Eisenhower PTO: 9:30 a.m., Friday, Jan. 12
- Streams PTO: 9:30 a.m., Friday, Jan. 12
Spelling Bee registration now open
The PTC Spelling Bee Committee is now accepting registration for the 2024 Spelling Bees for Upper St. Clair students in grades 4-8. Click on the links below to register. For more information, please contact Spelling Bee Chairperson Sarah Cranganu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eisenhower Bee - Tuesday, Jan. 9, library, 3:15 p.m.
- Streams Bee - Tuesday, Jan. 16, LGI, 3:15 p.m.
- Baker Bee - Tuesday, Jan. 23, library, 3:15 p.m.
- Boyce Bee - Tuesday, Jan. 30, theater, 4 p.m.
- Fort Couch Bee - Tuesday, Feb. 6, library, 4 p.m.
Partners in Education (PIE): Family Art Night
The PTC Partners in Education (PIE) committee is hosting a Family Art Night from 6-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 9 at Made by: You! Art Studio (111 Hidden Valley Road, McMurray, PA 15317). Sign up online by Jan. 3. Spots are limited. This event is open to USC families receiving special education services. A parent/guardian must be present during the event. For more information, contact partnersineducationusc@gmail.
Arts In USC – open to students K-12
Student artists in kindergarten through grade 12 are invited to submit artwork for the ninth annual Arts in USC program, sponsored by the Upper St. Clair Parent Teacher Council (PTC). This year’s theme is "My Happy Place." The deadline to submit is Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2024. All entries will be displayed in the Arts in USC Art Show from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Feb. 28, 2024, at USCHS. Read more
4: School Board meeting, 7 p.m.
4: Boyce Pride
4: Streams Holiday Shop
4-6: Baker Enchanted Shop
6: Streams Holiday Shop
5-7: Eisenhower Holiday Mart
6: PTC meeting, 11:30 a.m.
12: Fort Couch Winter Band Concert, 7 p.m.
12: Keystone Exams, USCHS
13: Keystone Exams, USCHS
13: Boyce Winter Band Concert, 7 p.m., Boyce theater
14: Keystone Exams, USCHS
14: USCHS Winter Band and Orchestra Concert, 7p.m., USCHS theater
16: USCVFD: Santa’s visit to USC neighborhoods, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
19: USCHS Winter Choral Concert, 7 p.m., Westminster Presbyterian Church
21: Boyce/Ft. Couch Choral Concert, 7 p.m., USCHS theater
21: Elementary Winter Parties
22: EARLY DISMISSAL – (HS 11:20; Elem 11:55; MS 12:30)
25-29: NO SCHOOL – Winter Break, Schools & Offices CLOSED
1: NO SCHOOL – Winter Break, Schools & Offices CLOSED
8: Boyce Pride
9: Eisenhower Spelling Bee, 3:15 p.m., register online
9: PTC PIE Family Art Night, 6-7:30 p.m., Made By: You! Art Studio, register by Jan. 3
10: USCHS PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
10: Fourth Grade Combined Chorus Concert, 7 p.m., USCHS theater
12: Eisenhower PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
12: Streams PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
15: Streams Bowling, 10 a.m.-1p.m., AMC Mt. Lebanon
15: NO SCHOOL – Teacher In-Service
16: Streams Spelling Bee, 3:15 p.m., register online
17: Boyce Orchestra Strings Concert, 7 p.m.
18: Baker PTA meeting, 9:30 a.m.
19: Second Quarter/First Semester Marking Period Ends
19: Eisenhower Family Bingo, 6-7:30 p.m.
22: NO SCHOOL – Teacher In-Service
23: Third Quarter/Second Semester Begins
23: Baker Spelling Bee, 3 p.m. (make-up day, Jan. 24), register online
24: USCHS FAFSA Completion Night, 6:30 p.m.
25: Eisenhower Kindergarten Social, 6:30 p.m.
25: IB MYP/DP Parent Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
27: USCHS Winter Dance, 7:30-10 p.m.
30: Boyce Spelling Bee, 4 p.m., register online
Come join our team! There are several permanent and substitute openings in the Upper St. Clair School District. Please share our list of openings with friends and family who may be interested.
Full and Part-time Openings
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- School Police Officer
- Physical Education/Health Teacher - LTS
- School Psychologist (per-diem)
- Maintenance Technician
- Custodian (2 full-time positions)
- Cook (part-time, Streams Elem)
- Nutrition Center General Worker (part-time)
- Bus Driver
- Bus Attendant
- Assistant Coach: High School Baseball
- Head Coach: HS Boys Volleyball
- Assistant Coach: Boys' Varsity Lacrosse
- Bus Drivers: $22.50/hour
- Cafeteria Workers: $13/hour
- Secretaries: $15/hour
- Custodians $15/hour
- Teacher Aides: $15/hour
- Van Drivers: $18/hour
- Teachers: $150/day
- Nurses: $150/day
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: Sensory-Friendly Santa Experience: Dec. 6
- USCVFD Santa's Visit Schedule: Dec. 16
- Marching Band: Light Up for Unity Night Dec. 10 & Luminaria Sale
- STEAM Opportunities
- Pennsylvania's Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- And more…
The Weekly Recap is emailed to all Upper St. Clair School District families and staff, and posted on the district's website every Friday.
For more information, contact:
Tina Vojtko, Communications Specialist
Upper St. Clair School District