Weekly Recap for Friday, Sept. 13, 2019
Six named National Merit Semifinalists
Six Upper St. Clair High School seniors were recently named Semifinalists in the 2020 National Merit Scholarship Competition. The following students scored in the top one percent of all juniors completing the PSAT in October 2018: Julia Brubach, Nisarg Kalra, Vivian Li, Daniel O’Brien, Ian Rankin and Braden Yates. Read more
139 USC students named AP Scholars
The College Board recently announced that 139 Upper St. Clair High School students earned the designation of AP Scholar – including seven National AP Scholars. These students earned recognition for their exceptional achievement in the college-level Advanced Placement Program in 2019. Read more
Student writers have works published
Three Upper St. Clair High School students – sophomore Skyler Bruno, senior Eden Auslander and 2019 graduate Sarah Price – recently became published authors. Their writings were among the top-rated submissions in the Ralph Munn Creative Writing Contest, sponsored by the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. Read more
Boyce courtyard transforms into garden
After three years, many hands and lots of hard work, Boyce Middle School’s outdoor courtyard has been transformed into a fully functioning garden and serene setting – perfect for young readers in need of a quiet space. Read more and view photos
New stadium concession stand now open
Attending tonight’s football game? Be sure to stop by the all NEW concession stand located at the TOP of the bleachers, below the press box. Items include Chick-fil-A sandwiches, Olive Oil's pizza, Philly Pretzel Factory pretzels, hotdogs, walking tacos, new loaded nachos, candy, chips, popcorn, drinks and more. All proceeds benefit the USC Band Parents Association.
2019 Homecoming 5th Quarter Alumni Event
Upper St. Clair School District is excited to offer its second annual "Homecoming 5th Quarter" event at the conclusion of the varsity football game against Fox Chapel on Friday, Sept. 27. This event is an opportunity for alumni from all classes to come together, catch up, enjoy food from St. Clair Country Club, and continue a new USC tradition. Please join us as we (hopefully) celebrate another win! Read more
Judges Taste Test New Menu Items for Streams Cuisine!
The Nutrition Center is striving to add some new menu items to their repertoire this year. That said, students can be hesitant to try something that is new or different, so some creative culinary tricks were needed! Dr. Claire Miller, Streams principal, and Mrs. Gwen St. Cyr, Nutrition Center manager, invited a small group of students to be “Streams Chopped Judges” for new menu items! Read more
Annual Open Houses continue…
Elementary Open House was last week. Thank you to all of our families who joined us. Three more Open Houses will happen over the next three weeks. The purpose is to acquaint you with your child’s educational program and provide an opportunity to meet his/her teacher(s). Note that students are dismissed early on the day of their respective Open House. Please plan to join us!
- 19: High School Open House, 7 p.m. (HS EARLY DISMISSAL @ 12:35 p.m.)
- 26: Boyce Open House, 7 p.m. (BOYCE EARLY DISMISSAL @ 1:15 p.m.)
- 3: Fort Couch Open House, 7 p.m. (FORT COUCH EARLY DISMISSAL @ 1:15 p.m.)
44th Marching Band Festival set for Oct. 5
The Upper St. Clair Band Parents Association will host its 44th Annual Upper St. Clair Marching Band Festival on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019. The event, featuring bands from six high schools, begins at 7 p.m. in the USC High School stadium. Tickets, which are $8 for adults and $5 for students, are available in advance from any USC band student or can be purchased at the gate. Read more
Halls of Fame to welcome 11 new inductees
Eleven individuals have been selected for induction into the Upper St. Clair High School Halls of Fame. Nine alumni and two retired teachers/coaches will be honored at the annual induction ceremony and recognized at the Upper St. Clair football game on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. Read more
Canvas Tip of the Week: Viewing Overall Course %s from Homescreen (grades 5-12)
Did you know that you can see all of your child's overall course %s from the homepage of Canvas on both the iOS app and the web versions of Canvas? On the iOS app, open your app and then select the three lines in the upper left-hand corner. From this menu, swipe on "Show Grades" and a % will appear in the corner of each course tile. On the web version of Canvas there is a "View Grades" button that will either appear on the right or bottom of your screen. If you select this button you can view the overall course grades for all courses for all children from the main screen. From here, clicking on any of the courses will take you to a progress report for that course. If you need help setting up your Canvas account or gaining access to your login/password, please email Brad Wilson, director of strategic initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- USC Girls Volleyball Gets Win Over Moon!
- Boys Soccer Remain Unbeaten With Tough Section Win!
- USC Boys Golf Remain Unbeaten With Win Over Trinity
- USC Girls Soccer Gets Win Over Baldwin!
- Maggie Stief and Anna Rush Compete In Tennis Section Singles
- Boys And Girls Cross Country Get Wins Over Trinity And Chartiers Valley
- Cross Country Trivia Night On October 6th!
- USC Field Hockey Gets 3-2 Win Over Barker, NY
- USC Girls Volleyball Host Very Successful Tournament!
- Boys & Girls Cross Country Compete At Red, White & Blue Invitational
- USC Football Gets Home Win Against Baldwin
In case you missed it…
- Upper St. Clair again has the look of a WPIAL title contender in boys golf
- Broadcast: WPIAL Football - Woodland Hills at Upper St. Clair
- Trib HSSN football players to watch for Week 3 (David Pantelis)
- Upper St. Clair's David Pantelis putting last year's devastating defeat behind him
- Team effort transforms area at Upper St. Clair school into functioning garden
- Six USC Students National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists
- Familiar faces dominate Red, White and Blue meet
- The Almanac – School News: Week of Sept. 15 (Ralph Munn Creative Writing Contest)
- Upper St. Clair’s Joshua Matheny makes U.S. national team in breaststroke
- Three Upper St. Clair Students Become Published Writers
- Upper St. Clair rallies in second half to pull away from Baldwin
- New coach Mike Junko, Upper St. Clair facing Baldwin in Week 2 matchup
- Camaraderie rules among cross country coaches
17: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
17: Streams Room Parent Volunteers meeting, 9:30 a.m.
19: Baker PTA meeting, 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.
19: High School Open House, 7 p.m. (HS EARLY DISMISSAL @ 12:35 pm)
22: Senior Class Cruise on the Gateway Clipper
23: School Board Meeting, 7 p.m., Central Offices
24: Baker Picture Day
24-26: Boyce Book Fair
26: First Marking Period Progress Reports
26: Boyce Open House, 7 p.m. (BOYCE EARLY DISMISSAL @ 1:15 pm)
27: Homecoming Football Game
27: Alumni: Homecoming 5th Quarter, St. Clair Country Club
28: Homecoming Dance, 7:30 p.m.
1: High School Choral Boosters Parent Meeting, 7 p.m., Choir Room
2: High School Picture Day
2: Streams School Picture Day
2: Parent Teacher Council Meeting, 9:30 a.m., Eisenhower
3: High School Picture Day
3: Eisenhower Fall Picture Day
3: Fort Couch Open House, 7 p.m. (FORT COUCH EARLY DISMISSAL @ 1:15 pm)
4: Halls of Fame, Dinner and Recognition
4: Fort on the Field, High School cafeteria and theater lobby
5: USC Band Festival, USC stadium, 7 p.m.
8: Stream PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
11: EARLY DISMISSAL: (HS 10:55 a.m.; Elem. 11:30 a.m.; Middle Schools: 11:55 a.m.)
11: Streams Stravaganza, 5 p.m.
11: Eisenhowler, 5:30 p.m.
11: Baker Boo Bash, 6 p.m.
14: School Board meeting, 8 a.m., Central Offices
16: Baker Chick-fil-A Spirit Night
17: Girls Lacrosse Booster Club Fall Welcome, 7 p.m., Cucina Bella
19: PSAT exam
19: Thespian Club Cabaret, 7 p.m., High School LGI
21: National School Bus Safety Week
22: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
24: Fall Play – “Almost Maine,” 7:30 p.m., High School theater
26: Fall Play – “Almost Maine,” 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., High School theater
27: Fall Play – “Almost Maine,” 2 p.m., High School theater
28: School Board meeting, 7 p.m., Central Offices
29: Streams Picture Make-ups
29: USCGal Event, 6:30 p.m., Boyce library
30: First Marking Period Ends
30: Elem. Harvest Parties
30: Baker Fourth Grade Hay Ride, 6 p.m., Simmons Farm
31: NO SCHOOL, Teacher Inservice
Coming Up….Mark your Calendar:
Nov. 1: NO SCHOOL, Teacher Inservice
Nov. 11: NO SCHOOL, Teacher Inservice
Nov. 11: UnSelfie with Dr. Michele Borba, 7 p.m., High School theater
Nov. 20: Open Mic, 7 p.m., Boyce
Nov. 27-29: NO SCHOOL, Thanksgiving Recess
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- Nutrition Center General Worker (2 positions)
- High School STEM/Technology Education Teacher
- And more!
Substitute opportunities with flexibility: The school district is currently recruiting for several substitute positions including teachers, school nurses, teacher aides, nutrition center workers, custodians and bus drivers. These are great opportunities for those with school-age children as most follow the school calendar. Only work the days you’re available!!! Apply online!
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: USC Township Library Fall Programs
- NEW: USC Newcomers' Club Fall Welcome Party: Sept. 16
- Learn more about Girl Scouts: Sept. 17
- Community Foundation Golf Invitational: Sept. 23
- Junior Great Race: Sept. 28
- Healthy Kids Running Series: Sundays through Oct. 6
- Boys Lacrosse Boosters Golf Outing: Oct. 20
- STEM Spooktacular Day: Oct. 26
- Scout Troop 228/9228 meetings: Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m.
- Allegheny Land Trust Fall Programs
- Fall/Winter CRC Recreation Programs
- And more…
Tina Vojtko, Communications Specialist
Upper St. Clair School District