Weekly Recap for Friday, April 12
Open Mic set for May 2
The Upper St. Clair Parent Teacher Council will host its semiannual Open Mic at 10 a.m. on Thursday, May 2, 2019, in the Upper St. Clair High School large group instruction (LGI) room. Read more | online registration form
USC Mini-THON raises $58,476
Upper St. Clair High School students recently raised $58,476.69 through the third annual USC Mini-THON – exceeding their $50,000 goal. The event benefits Four Diamonds, an organization that assists children who are battling cancer and their families at Penn State Health Children's Hospital in Hershey. Read more and view photos
8th grade team named regional winner of ExploraVision competition
A team from Fort Couch Middle School was selected as one of 24 regional winners and one of only six in the grades 7-9 category of the 27th annual ExploraVision program, the largest K-12 science competition designed to build problem-solving, critical thinking and collaboration skills. Read more and view photos
National Honor Society inducts 154 new members
The Upper St. Clair High School chapter of the National Honor Society inducted 154 new members during its annual induction ceremony on April 10, 2019. Read more and view photos
USC freshman places first in flute competition
Upper St. Clair High School freshman Phoebe Chen has been named the first-place winner of the Central Ohio Flute Association (COFA) Competition, Junior Division. She performed Henri Büsser: Prelude et Scherzo, Op. 35 and Georg Philipp Telemann: Fantasia No. 1 in A Major on April 6, 2019, at the Ohio State University School of Music. Read more
Boyce hosts Author’s Day
Boyce Middle School welcomed Aisha Saeed, author of “Amal Unbound,” on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, for its annual Author’s Day, sponsored by the school’s Parent Teacher Organization. Read more and view photos
USC students fund a child’s wish
The Upper St. Clair High School Make-A-Wish Club recently presented nearly $5,800 to Make-A-Wish Greater Pennsylvania and West Virginia to more than fully fund one wish for a qualifying child. Read more
37 named April Boyce Pride winners
Thirty-seven Boyce Middle School students were recently honored with April Boyce Pride Awards, a monthly celebration of kindness, sponsored by the Boyce PTO. Read more
Spring Alumni Reception at TopGolf – April 25
Join us for the Spring Alumni Reception from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 25 at Topgolf in Bridgeville. Tickets are $25 (includes golf) or $15 (non-golf) and includes a buffet and soft drinks. For more information, contact Gordon Mathews, class of 2010, at email@example.com. We hope to see you there!!! More info or RSVP online | join the connect2uscsd online alumni community
Register NOW for summer programs
Registration has begun for Upper St. Clair’s many summer offerings. Take a peek at all of the exciting opportunities for students of all ages including leadership academy, creative writing, STEAM camps, math & reading labs, band camps, and more. Register online. Elementary | Middle School | High School
Canvas Tip of the Week: Report Card Time! Accessing Assignment/Grade Info from Q3 on Canvas
Happy almost spring break! Also, happy Report Card Day! If you attempt to look back at your child's performance during the third term as you analyze his/her report card, you may notice that everything defaults to show the current term (Quarter 4). For information on looking back at his/her assignment scores on Q3 on a mobile device, this video is synced to the time at which this is described: https://youtu.be/jjXKrxRWUQI?t=90. For info on how to accomplish this on the computer/web version of Canvas, please watch the video at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21w20A5VD8. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Brad Wilson, supervisor of customized and online learning (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- USC Boys Volleyball Gets Section Road Win
- Congratulations NLI Spring Signees
- Boys Tennis Gets 4-1 Win Over Chartiers Valley
- Varsity Baseball Loses Tough Game to Bethel Park
- USC Softball Earns Important Section Win Over Peters Township
- Girls Lacrosse Gets Road Win At Latrobe
- Boys Varsity Baseball Get Important Section Victory
- Boys Lacrosse Defeats Baldwin In Home Conference Game
- USC Boys Volleyball Gets Win Over Baldwin
- USC Girls Lacrosse Get Road Section Win
- USC Baseball Gets Back on Winning Track
- Softball Gets Win Over Brashear
- USC Track Performs Well At South Hills Classic
- Girls Lacrosse Get Win Over Sewickley Academy
In case you missed it…
- Lebanon leads list of Almanac boys' basketball all-stars (1st Team: Tanner Gensler; 2nd Team: Chris Pantelis; Honorable Mention: Luke Gensler, Luke Geisler, Andrew Casey, Ben Sandusky)
- Stout, Slinger headline Almanac Wrestling All-stars
- Upper St. Clair Students Raise $58,000 To Fight Pediatric Cancer
- Upper St. Clair rolls past Peters Township in Section 1-6A matchup
- Three K-12 educators win AIAA Foundation Educator Achievement Awards (Pat Palazzolo)
- Almanac – People: Week of April 7 (Alexis Feldman, Gold Award)
- Almanac – School news: Week of April 7 (All-State Choir, Fluid Power Challenge, USC teacher honored, STEM Design Challenge, Media/design competition, Robotics team advances, Boyce teacher honored, Congressional Award, USC tops in music, Golden Globe Award, Women in STEAM)
- 2019 Boys Basketball All-Section Teams (Section 2: Tanner Gensler, Upper St. Clair, 24, 6-3, Sr., F, 20.0; Luke Gensler, Upper St. Clair, 11, 6-0, So., G, 11.5)
- Top swimmers carved their names in record books (Josh Matheny)
12: Report Cards – Third Marking Period
12: Eisenhower PTO meeting, 9 a.m.
15-19: No School – Spring Recess
22-26: PSSA English Language Arts testing, grades 3-8
23: School Board meeting, 7 p.m. Central Offices
24: Boyce Deer Valley meeting, 6:30 p.m.
25: High School PAC meeting, 9:30 a.m., room 148/149
25: USCHS Alumni Spring Reception, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Topgolf
29-May 3: PSSA Mathematics testing, grades 3-8
1: PTC Changeover Brunch, 9:30 a.m., Central Office
2: PTC Open Mic, 10 a.m., High School LGI room
6: Elementary Band Concert, 7 p.m., Boyce Theatre
6: School Board meeting, 7 p.m., Central Offices
7-9: Eisenhower Book Fair
7: Baker PTA meeting, 10 a.m.
7: Chamber Choir Festival, Chanteclairs, 7 p.m., Westminster
9: Elementary S.T.A.R. Night, 7 p.m. (Early Dismissal @ 12:45 p.m.)
10: Eisenhower PTO meeting, 9 a.m.
10: Fort Couch Musical, 7:30 p.m., High School
11: Fort Couch Musical, 7:30 p.m., High School
12: Fort Couch Musical, 2:30 p.m., High School
14: Boyce PTO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
14: Fort Couch Band Concert, 7 p.m., High School
15: Eisenhower Kindergarten Spring Tour, 9:30 a.m. and 12:45 p.m.
15-17: Marching Band Mini Camp, 3 p.m., HS Band room
15: Elementary Spring Musicals, 7 p.m.
16: Marching Band Freshman Parent Meeting, 5 p.m., HS cafeteria
16: Fort Couch Celebration of Learning @ 7 p.m. (Early Dismissal @ 1:15 p.m.)
16: USCHS STEAM Symposium Showcase, 7-9 p.m., High School
17: Eisenhower Cultural Arts Day
20: Elementary Strings Concert, 7 p.m., High School theatre
20: School Board meeting, 7 p.m., Central Offices
21: Fort Couch PTSO meeting, 9:30 a.m.
21: High School Awards Night, 6:30 p.m.
22: Baker Spring Into Kindergarten, 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
22: Streams Spring Into Kindergarten, 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
22: Boyce PTO meeting, 11 a.m.
22: Eisenhower 4th Grade Farewell, 6 p.m., High School
22: 6th to 7th Grade Move Up Night, 7 p.m., Fort Couch
22: High School Chorus Concert, 7 p.m.
23: Boyce Celebration of Learning @ 7 p.m. (Early Dismissal @ 1:15 p.m.)
23: High School Senior Banquet, 5:30 p.m.
27: No School – Memorial Day
28: High School Jazz Spring Concert, 7 p.m.
29: Baker 4th Grade Pool Party, 6 p.m., High School pool
30: 4th Grade Move-Up Day to Boyce
30: IB MYP Certificate Ceremony, 6:30 p.m., Boyce theatre
30: High School Instrumental Concert, 7 p.m.
31: Streams 4th Grade Pool Party, 6 p.m., High School pool
Other Upcoming Move-Up Days and Parent Meetings
June 3: 4th Grade Parent Meeting at Boyce @ 6:30 p.m.
June 12: 6th Grade Move-Up Day to Fort Couch
June 12: 8th Grade Move-Up Day to High School
June 12: Early Dismissal for High School Students @ 11 a.m.
June 12: Last Day for Students Grades K-11
Other Upcoming Senior Events
June 4: Red Carpet & Prom
June 6: Baccalaureate @ 5:30 p.m., Graduation @ 7 p.m.
Check out our current employment opportunities and apply online for the following positions:
- Elementary Teacher, Eisenhower Elem. (2 positions)
- Long-term Substitute German Teacher, Fort Couch & Boyce middle schools
Substitute opportunities with flexibility: The school district is currently recruiting for several substitute positions including teachers, school nurses, teacher aides, nutrition center workers, custodians and bus drivers. These are great opportunities for those with school-age children as most follow the school calendar. Only work the days you’re available!!! Apply online!
Be sure to check the district’s online community bulletin board for information about upcoming community events as well as summer science camps, sports camps, dance clinics and more…
- NEW: Youth Football Camp of Champions (gr. K-6): July 22-24
- NEW: Football Summer Conditioning Program (gr. 7-9): June 17-July 26
- NEW: Remake Learning Days: May 9-19
- NEW: Wingfield Pines upcoming environmental education programs
- NEW: Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra FREE concert: May 5
- Tech Connect for Kids @ Carnegie Science Center - April 13
- Best Buddies Walk: April 14
- 40th Annual Holocaust Observance: April 14
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED training: April 25-28
- Huntington Learning Center Programs: April 25
- College Alternatives - Rosedale Tech: April 29
- PAMLE Pirates game: May 3
- USCHS Cheerleading Tryouts: May 13-17
- PEAQ Learn to Swim Lessons: April 28-May 19
- Ralph Munn Creative Writing Contest: April 14 deadline
- ACT vs SAT Comparison Test: April 27
- And more…
Tina Vojtko, Communications Specialist
Upper St. Clair School District