1:1 Learning Initiative
Welcome back to the 2016-2017 School Year! We are excited to be back to school and to continue to develop our 1:1 Learning Initiative in Boyce, Fort Couch, and now the High School. For information related to the distribution of iPads, changes in filtering, and more, please see the various tabs listed below.
Returning iPad User Redistribution
For previous 1:1 iPad users entering grades 6-9, there will be different processes at the various buildings. Below are the specific plans for children to be able to receive their iPads:
Students entering grade 6 at Boyce Middle School
- Redistribution will occur during the first week of school
Students entering grades 7-8 at Fort Couch Middle School
- Parents or students can pick up their devices at the main office of Fort Couch on Friday, August 12 from 9-12 AM, or Tuesday, August 16 from 1-7 PM. If students pick up their iPads, they are required to have a completed USCSD Insurance Protection Plan Agreement with check. Students and parents are only permitted to pick up the devices of their own family members - sorry, no pick-ups for friends!
Students entering grade 9 at the High School
- Parents or students can pick up their devices in the lobby of the main entrance of the High School on Friday, August 12 from 9:00 AM -12:00 PM, or Tuesday, August 16 from 1:00 PM - 7:00
PM. If students pick up their iPads, they are required to have a
completed USCSD Insurance Protection Plan Agreement with check. Students and parents are only permitted to pick up the devices of their own family members - sorry, no pick-ups for friends!
New Student iPad Distribution for Grades 6-9
For all students who are new to the Upper St. Clair School District in grades 6-9, we are coordinating iPad distribution with new family orientation sessions on Tuesday, August 16. A brief presentation lasting ~30 minutes will be begin the distribution session followed by distribution of devices. In this presentation, we will discuss important logistics related to the 1:1 Learning Initiative including the rationale for the initiative, security details, and insurance information. Attendance will also enable you to pick up your child's device prior to the beginning of the school-year. The time for the various grade-levels/buildings are listed below:
-New 9th grade students: ~10:30 at the High School LGI (after completion of previously scheduled new family activities)
-New 7th and 8th grade students: ~10:30 at the Fort Couch LGI (also after completion of previously scheduled new family activities)
-New 6th grade students: 3:30 at Boyce Middle School
Grade 5 iPad Distribution
Still a few weeks away, iPad distribution for children entering grade 5 at Boyce will occur on Wednesday, September 7th in the evening. Stay tuned for more details on the exact times for the various teams.
This has been an exciting summer behind the scenes of the 1:1 Learning Initiative, with many positive improvements having been made. A few of the improvements that are most relevant to parents include:
- Securly: a New Internet Filtering Tool -Along with enabling the district to more effectively filter YouTube and Google, Securly, a cloud-filtering solution, also is beta testing a parent portal where parents can access their child's internet usage and other related information. For more information about Securly and/or to sign up to be a beta tester of this great product, please visit the 1:1 Learning Initiative Blog.
- New Insurance Protection Plan Agreement - After a year of evaluating the effectiveness of our self-insuring approach, a slightly modified Insurance Protection Plan agreement is now available. For details on this new agreement, also see the new 1:1 Learning Initiative Blog.
- 1:1 Learning Initiative Blog - As just mentioned in the previous items, there is a new 1:1 Learning Initiative blog. One of the areas that we are striving to improve upon is our communication with, and training of, our parents. One strategy that we are implementing is this new blog which will feature more frequent posts about classroom uses of 1:1 technology, as well as brief trainings for parents via our 1:1 website. You should expect to see new posts on this site on a weekly basis, with some relating to classroom uses, others to training, and some to relevant information district-wide. Especially early in the school-year, anticipate a number of posts each week, as we try to provide you with relevant, and brief tidbits of information to help you to most effectively support your children in a technology-enhanced world, without overdoing it with links upon links of information for you to peruse at your leisure, but without guidance. Included above in the previous dialogue this link (1:1 Learning Initiative Blog) will take you to this blog that is sorted by date, and features a few posts to kick of the new roll-out of the 1:1 Learning Initiative.
For technical concerns and questions please send queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.