Awards/Honors of which we are Proud!Fort Couch students and staff continually achieve a vast array of awards and honors that reflect the tradition of excellence at Fort Couch. Student and staff accomplishments are recognized monthly by the Board of School Directors. A comprehensive list of these achievements, both great and small, would fill many pages.
Awards and honors have been achieved in many areas including academics, the arts, athletics, and teaching excellence. Representative examples include:
Another source of school and community pride is being recognized statewide and nationally for our achievements.
- published poetry in the International Poetry forum,
- 1st place in the Regional Math Counts Competition,
- 3rd place in the Future Cities Engineering Design Competition,
- 1st place in the Pittsburgh Public Theater's Shakespeare Scene Competition,
- MacDonalds educational grant for an outstanding interdisciplinary project,
- Maintenance of High Standards Grant - from PSSA (1999-2000),
- Teacher in Excellence Award- 1st Runner Up, and
- a staff member was selected by the Pittsburgh Council of International Visitors to visit Ukraine as part of an exchange mission.
Teachers, parents and staff are energized by these national and state recognitions and welcome the opportunity to share the commitment to the middle school movement with other school districts throughout the country.
- In the years 1986-87, 1992-1993, 2001-2002, and 2012-2013, Fort Couch was acknowledged by the United States Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
- In 1991, the Pennsylvania Middle School Association recognized Fort Couch with the "Don Eichorn Award for Middle School Excellence."
- In April of 2008, our school was honored by the Pennsylvania State and National Middle Schools Association with the Don Eichhorn Schools To Watch 2008-2011 award.