Flexible Instructional Days (FID)
During the 2021-2022 school year, Upper St. Clair School District will be utilizing Flexible Instructional Days (FIDs), which may be used in place of a school day that would otherwise be canceled because of inclement weather or another emergency situation that is NOT related to the pandemic/health and safety closures. On a FID, students will participate in synchronous instruction provided by teachers following a 2-hour delay schedule.2-Hour Delay/FID Schedules
- Upper St. Clair High School
- Fort Couch Middle School
- Boyce Middle School
What's the benefit of a FID?
Implementing FIDs will eliminate the need for make-up days in the event of school cancelations. Traditionally, snow make-up days have extended the school year by one or more days in June. The District can use up to five (5) FIDs per school year. FIDs are considered a school day and count toward the number of instructional days/hours required under Article 15 of the Public School Code and Chapter 11 of the State Board of Education regulations.
If the District calls for a FID, how will I know?
Families will be informed of a FID through the District's notification systems in the same way that school closings/delays are currently announced. Notifications will be distributed via automated calls/emails and will be posted on the District's website, www.uscsd.k12.pa.us.
Will every school day that is canceled because of inclement weather be considered a FID?
A FID will occur after the District uses any scheduled make-up days in the school calendar. For the 2021-2022 school year, make-up days are not scheduled. The district has up to five days to utilize as a FID.
What will be expected of my child during a FID?
- Students will not report to school.
- Participate in synchronous instruction:
- Follow the 2-hour delay schedule. (see schedules linked above)
- Find the Google Meet Link on the teacher Canvas page.
- Utilize Canvas to access all instructional materials and assignments for the day.
- Attendance will be taken by the classroom teacher.
How does student attendance work?
Attendance will be taken by teachers on a FID. Students are expected to attend school virtually (synchronously). If a student is absent, the parent/guardian must provide an excuse or the absence will be considered unexcused.
How can I contact a teacher or staff member during a FID?
Teachers/staff will be providing instruction and live support during a FID. If you have questions, you may contact a teacher or staff member via email, and they will respond to you when available. If you are having difficulties accessing a Google Meet link or Canvas, please email the teacher.
How long will my child have to complete FID lessons and/or assignments?
- Students are expected to have assignments completed based on teacher provided deadlines.
- If students experience difficulty while accessing instruction at home, the parent/student must communicate with the teacher. Upon communication, an extension of assignment completion up to 5 days will be granted. Your child may be marked absent and an excuse may be required depending upon the circumstances contributing to an inability to access FID instruction.
- The five school day count will begin upon return from a FID. (i.e. Tuesday is a FID, so Wednesday counts as school Day 1 for assignment completion). It is important for students to complete assignments in a timely manner to have continuity in their learning.
What happens if my child fails to complete his/her assignment(s)?
Teachers will check FID assignment completion and grade the assignment accordingly.
My child has an IEP. Will his/her lesson be modified appropriately?
The FID lesson will be designed utilizing their program modifications, specially designed instruction, and supplementary aids and services identified in their individualized education plans. Upon return from a FID, teachers of students with IEPs will meet with their students to review work submitted, checking for completion and understanding.
Any related services (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech, etc.) that would have occurred during the day of closure will be provided during the FID. If necessary, the session can be rescheduled according to the frequency requirements in the students’ individualized education plans.
Will after school activities be canceled on a FID?
Additional communication regarding after-school activities will be provided by the District on the day of a school closure.