Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized eight outstanding students with May 2016 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on May 31, 2016.
May 2016 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Cynthia Demaio (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Emily Alloway, Mathematics
- Grace Eden (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Junko Kapples, World Language
- Stephanie Grunwald (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Sean O’Rourke, English
- Mary Molitoris (grade 12): nominated by Dr. Don Frollini, Science
- Surya Raju (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Debbie Rentschler, Library
- Zoe Rankin (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Kate Speer, World Language
- Haley Stoehr (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Robyn Smigel, Fine & Performing Arts
- Rachel Tudi (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Pat Manion, Social Studies
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mrs. Christine Mussomeli. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings