In a brief survey at the end of last year, I asked my students, "What is the most important thing this class taught you?" In addition to the many responses of "math" or "pre-algebra" many students answered the question this way:"This class taught me.....
- that hard work pays off."
- that I need to be responsible for my work."
- how to use my time wisely."
- how to be organized."
- how to achieve a goal you set."
- that listening to others is always going to pay off in a way."
- that I should never be afraid to ask questions."
- how to think things through thoroughly."
- that the way I learn can change, and I can be good."
"I've never felt more able to get so far in a classroom before I was in your class on team 1. Walking out of the school yesterday felt phenomenal knowing how far I've come this year. This has been a great year."