MYP Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are teachers trained to teach the District’s IB MYP?
A: A teacher receives training before and after a school becomes authorized to teach the program.
Before a school becomes authorized to teach the program, the teachers involved are required to undergo training; either by attending an IB teacher-training workshop or by participating in school-based training organized by the IB.
After a school becomes authorized, the teachers are encouraged to engage in an ongoing process of professional development by:
Also, the District provides in-house training to supplement IBO training. This training is provided within the District by District staff that have been certified as IBO trainers.
- attending IB workshops and conferences;
- participating in online discussions and special events on the IB’s website for teachers, the Online Curriculum Centre (OCC);
- reviewing relevant support materials published by the IB online and/or in print;
- responding to appeals from the IB for teachers to participate in other curriculum-related activities (eg: curriculum reviews, collecting samples of student work);
- applying to become a moderator for the purpose of moderating internally assessed student work;
- applying to become an IB workshop leader.
Q: Where is IB MYP offered in the District?A: The Upper St. Clair School District offers the MYP in grades 5 through 10. This program expands across two District levels: middle school level and high school level. It is also housed at three different sites: Boyce Middle School for grades 5 and 6, Fort Couch Middle School for grades 7 and 8, and Upper St. Clair High School for grades 9 and 10.
Q: Does a student need to complete the USC PYP to enroll in the IB MYP?A: Completing PYP is not a requirement to be enrolled in the IB MYP in any school in the Upper St. Clair School District.
Q: Does a student need to complete the USC MYP to enroll in the IB Diploma Program?A: Completing MYP is not a requirement to be enrolled in the IB Diploma Program at Upper St. Clair High School.Q: Is there any grade level in which a student can’t enroll in MYP for the first time?A: Students can enroll at anytime in the MYP for grades 5 to 9, or MYP Levels 0-4. To be enrolled in the program at 10th grade, students must have completed the Grade 9 or Level 4 of MYP.
Q: If I request placement for my child in MYP, the placement is automatic?
A: At most grade level, placement is automatic in MYP if requested by the parent. During certain years, waiting lists did develop at Grade 5 or Level 0.