March 22, 2023
Seven named to March Deans’ List
Upper St. Clair High School administrators named seven outstanding students to the monthly Deans’ List. Honorees and the teachers who nominated them were recognized at a special breakfast event on Wednesday, March 22, 2023.
March Deans’ List honorees include:
- Colin Green, grade 9, nominated by Dr. Michael Funfar, mathematics
- Dakota Worstell, grade 12: nominated by Mr. Doug Kirchner, social studies
- Camila Montoya Posada, grade 12: nominated by Ms. Johanna Rennhoff, world language
- James Stalder, grade 10: nominated by Ms. Corinne Newman, science
- Bryan Deep, grade 10: nominated by Ms. Despines, library
- Roshan Segall, grade 11: nominated by Ms. Jen Wagner, student support services
- Alara Aksehirli, grade 9: nominated by Ms. Tracy Smith, robotics
The monthly Deans’ List program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Dr. Dan Beck and Ms. Cara Senger.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ List. In addition to being recognized at the monthly event, students who are nominated receive a small token of appreciation, award certificate and a copy of the letter written by their faculty nominator.
Upper St. Clair High School promotes the growth and development of five Social Emotional Learning competencies. Teachers use this framework to nominate students who demonstrate any of the following:
- Self-Awareness: the ability to recognize one’s own emotions, thoughts and values, and how they influence behavior.
- Social Awareness: the ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others, including those from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Self-Management: the ability to successfully regulate one’s emotions, thoughts and behaviors in different situations; effectively managing stress, controlling impulses and motivating others.
- Relationship Skills: the ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
- Responsible Decision-Making: the ability to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns and social norms.