Aug. 19, 2022
USC staff kicks-off the 2022-23 school year
For the first time since the fall of 2019, staff members in the Upper St. Clair School District celebrated the start of the upcoming 2022-23 school year in-person. Opening Day – the first day back for teachers, teacher aides, school counselors, school nurses and psychologists – was held on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2022, in the high school theater.
Entering the school, staff members were welcomed with balloons, streamers and painted signs compliments of volunteers representing the School Board, Parent Teacher Council and USCHS Student Council. The event kicked-off with a performance by the Upper St. Clair High School Marching Band.
The newest members of the school district’s teaching staff were introduced by Christine Hestwood, a member of the district’s music faculty. Newly contracted teachers include:
- Anastasia Anthony, Special Education, Boyce Middle School
- Hilarie Bauer, School Nurse, Boyce Middle School
- Blaise Cackovic, Physics, Upper St. Clair High School
- Linda Connor, Librarian, Baker Elementary School
- Frank Cremonese, Physical Education, Baker Elementary
- Abbey DiGregorio, Physical Education, Boyce Middle School
- Julia Ellis, Resource, Upper St. Clair High School
- Kristi Frommeyer, School Counselor, Upper St. Clair High School
- Beth Lash, School Counselor, Upper St. Clair High School
- Ellie Oxenreiter, Special Education, Boyce Middle School
- Adam Ward, School Psychologist
In addition, 10 veteran staff members were honored for completing 25 years of service to the Upper St. Clair School District. Amy Pfender, assistant superintendent, presented each honoree with a 25-year pin in recognition of the silver anniversary. Honorees include:
- Ray Berrott, Director of Technology
- Leslie Densmore, First Grade Teacher, Baker Elementary
- Terry Jackson, Special Education Teacher, Upper St. Clair High School
- Tom Kostelic, Maintenance Foreman, Bus Garage
- Steve Levine, Eighth Grade Social Studies Teacher, Fort Couch Middle School
- Julie Mauder, Sixth Grade Math Teacher, Boyce Middle School
- Diane Rodi, Human Resources/Benefits Coordinator
- Scott Roley, Custodian, Upper St. Clair High School
- Dr. Sharon Suritsky, Assistant/Deputy Superintendent
- Michelle Zirngibl, Special Education Curriculum Leader & SHOP@USC Coordinator, Upper St. Clair High School
The event also included remarks from Dr. Judy Bulazo, director of curriculum and professional development; Dr. Dan Zelenski, teachers’ union president; Shanna Caplan, Parent Teacher Council president; Dr. Daphna Gans, school board vice-president; and Dr. John Rozzo, superintendent of schools.
All students in grades 1-12 will begin the 2022-23 school year on Wednesday, Aug. 24. For kindergarten families, Wednesday, Aug. 24 and Thursday, Aug. 25 will be used to conduct welcome events and orientation. The first regular day of kindergarten will occur on Friday, Aug. 26.