Oct. 1, 2021
Eight named to September ‘s Deans’ List
Upper St. Clair High School administrators named eight outstanding students to the monthly Deans’ List. Honorees and the teachers who nominated them were recognized at a special lunch-time event on Friday, Oct. 1, 2021.
September 2021 Deans’ List honorees include:
- Vladislav Bykov, grade 12: nominated by Mrs. Bossart
- Reese Copenhaver, grade 10: nominated by Ms. Hestwood
- Saif Durrani, grade 12: nominated by Mr. Edwards
- Ava Kasper, grade 9: nominated by Mr. Clermont
- Evie Sullivan, grade 10: nominated by Mrs. Mostowy
- Cadence Golden, grade 12: nominated by Mrs. Despines
- Isabelle (Izzy) Yoos, grade 12: nominated by Mr. Robbins
- Ryan Bencze, grade 9: nominated by Ms. Wagner
The monthly Deans’ List program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Dr. Dan Beck and Ms. Cara Senger.
The program had been on hiatus since March 2020 due to the pandemic. The in-person event has been modified to comply with the district’s Health & Safety Plan.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ List. In addition to being recognized at the monthly event, students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen, award certificate and a copy of the letter written by their faculty nominator.
Upper St. Clair High School promotes the growth and development of five Social Emotional Learning competencies. Teachers use this framework to nominate students who demonstrate any of the following:
- Self-Awareness: the ability to recognize one’s own emotions, thoughts and values, and how they influence behavior.
- Social Awareness: the ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others, including those from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Self-Management: the ability to successfully regulate one’s emotions, thoughts and behaviors in different situations; effectively managing stress, controlling impulses and motivating others.
- Relationship Skills: the ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
- Responsible Decision-Making: the ability to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns and social norms.