July 28, 2021
Surviving Mars STEAM Camp – out of this world!
Fort Couch Middle School’s STEAM Camp was out of this world! Sixty-six rising seventh and eighth graders completed numerous missions designed to successfully colonize Mars. The weeklong camp was held in June.
Adventures and challenges called on campers to use their skills in science, technology, engineering, art and math as they worked through the design cycle. Cooperation was key to the success of numerous missions, including:
- Programming a rover to explore the Mars surface.
- Designing, building and testing a space suit to protect against projectiles and UV radiation.
- Communicating clearly to deliver instructions.
- Designing and building a full-size structure/shelter to protect the colony.
- Designing, building and testing a rocket to leave the surface.
- Promoting the colony to ensure future generations.
Through research, cooperation, experimentation and innovation, campers succeeded in educational adventures to survive Mars and successfully colonize the planet.