Extended Teacher Certification (ETC)
According to data from the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the number of teaching certificates issued has declined more than 62 percent over the last eight years. During the academic year 2010-11, Pennsylvania issued 21,045 teaching certificates. In 2017-18, that number dropped to 7,970. As a result, there are fewer teacher candidates and, more pronounced, a substitute teacher shortage for many districts across the commonwealth – including Upper St. Clair.
In addition to strengthening the district’s current substitute teacher program, the Upper St. Clair School District, in cooperation with the Allegheny Intermediate Unit, has developed its Extended Teacher Certification (ETC) Program. The program is aimed at those who hold a bachelor’s degree in any subject from an accredited college or university but do not have a Pennsylvania teaching certificate. ETC enables qualified applicants to acquire training in order to serve as day-to-day substitute teachers.
ETC is a great option for those who are considering a career in education, returning to the workforce, retirees wanting to make a differencce, or looking to work with children.
Those who meet eligibility requirements will receive a non-certificated teaching permit from the Pennsylvania Department of Education. ETC teaching permits are valid for one school year and individuals can apply for renewal annually through the school district.
ETC substitutes earn the same daily rate and incentive bonuses as certified day-to-day substitutes. Click here for compensation information.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university
- Prior work or volunteer experience
- Letters of Reference
- Completion of employment clearances & paperwork
- Medical/Drug Test
Applicants will follow the district’s interview process and successful candidates must complete orientation/training that includes:
- A one-day in-person orientation and training.
- An 8-10 hour online course with an 85 percent or higher pass rate. Candidates must pay the $125 non-refundable fee (covers training, course work book and reference materials). This will be fully reimbursed after ETC substitute successfully completes 25 assignments.
- Observe an elementary (K-6) and secondary (7-12) classroom for one half day each.
- Mandated Reporter Training (in-person or online).
- Following 25 days of service, participate in ALICE Training Online.
Spring 2020 Timeline
- Now-Friday, Feb. 7 (The date was extended one week due to an enthusiastic response.): Apply for ETC Substitute Position for spring 2020
- Wednesday, Feb. 12: Classroom training/orientation
- OR -
- Wednesday, March 4: Classroom training/orientation
- Thursday, Feb. 13-Friday, March 6: Complete online training and classroom observations
- Monday, March 9: Begin accepting day-to-day substitute assignments
For more information regarding the ETC Program or substitute teaching in the Upper St. Clair School District, contact:
Human Resources Representative
412-833-1600 ext. 2289