July 16, 2019
EdZOOcation STEAM camp kicks-off
Upper St. Clair’s summer elementary STEAM camp – “EdZOOcation” – kicked off Monday, July 15, 2019. The weeklong camp focuses on zoo animals. Representatives from Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium’s Zoomobile presented campers with information about animal habitats along with three special guests – a turtle, a rabbit and a snake.
This STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) camp introduces students to the Engineering Design Process in a fun and hands-on way; learning it's okay to fail. Participants brainstorm in collaborative teams to explore the wonders of zoo animals along with learning to work as a team.
The camp is directed by Pam Dillie, Baker Elementary third grade teacher and science curriculum leader, along with camp counselors from Baker, Streams and Eisenhower.
- Monday: "Pittsburgh Mobile Zoo" – Zookeepers from the Pittsburgh Zoo will kick-off the week with live, exotic animals.
- Tuesday: "Tough Habitat to Break" – Students will create a habitat for their new animal and develop a green screen video to sell their habitat.
- Wednesday: "2 Cool for School" – Sub-zero ice cream will visit and students will be creating an Ice Cub Keeper for those silly Penguins.
- Thursday: "Hanging with the Crew at the Good Zoo" – Field trip to the Good Zoo in Wheeling.
- Friday: "Creating Critters" – Presentation by the artist that designed a good portion of the Pittsburgh Zoo. Campers will conclude the week by turning Trash into Treasure and designing animals from recyclable materials.