• History of Upper St. Clair 

    loghouse

    Upper St. Clair Township traces its origins to the mid-18th century when the first known settler, a Scotsman named John Fife, arrived from Virginia. In 1788, the township was formed and named in honor of General Arthur St. Clair, who came from Scotland in 1755. During the Revolutionary War, St. Clair rose in rank to become the only Pennsylvanian promoted to the rank of Major General in the Continental Army. At the end of the war, Major General St.Clair entered the Continental Congress and served as its president in 1787.

    In the 18th century, the parcel of land extending southward from the Monongahela River, named after St. Clair, became one of the seven townships formed in the new Allegheny County. About 50 years later it was divided into Lower St. Clair and Upper St. Clair. The part known as Lower St. Clair, bordering the river, was absorbed into Pittsburgh. Upper St. Clair, in the south hills of Allegheny County, was left to grow slowly for more than 100 years.

    In the middle of the 20th century, the township was rediscovered. The post-war demand for housing swept into the berry patches, the pastures, the woods, and the small farms. Plans were laid out and houses built, red-dog roads were widened and paved, and utilities were extended. (Source: John Kotzuk - USC Today Magazine)

    Located approximately 12 miles south of Pittsburgh, Upper St. Clair still reflects characteristics described in a 1913 brochure in which a real estate developer promised "interurban refinement and social eminence...a community where children, atmospheric purity, rustic beauty and ennobling sentiment may mingle." (Source:Neighborhood Snap-Shot)