June 6, 2018
Fifth graders recognized for math skills
Three Boyce Middle School fifth graders recently tied for first place in the school’s Pennsylvania Mathematics League competition. Shresht Rawat, Roshan Mishra and Hannah Del were awarded trophies for their top performances.
Second place also ended in a three-way tie between Grace McLean, Alex Swanson and Abigail Zahalsky.
The mathematics competition, which was open to all Upper St. Clair fifth graders, tasked students with completing 30 non-routine multiple-choice problems in 30 minutes.
In total, 90 Boyce Middle School students participated in the PML. The program is administered by Kathy Hoedeman, math resource teacher, and Sue Fleckenstein, gifted coordinator.
The following Team Champions were also awarded medals for their achievement:
- 1st Place (3-way tie): Brooke Bodamer, Hailey Miller, Shreeva Sutreja
- 2nd Place: Yuxiang Jiang
- 1st Place: Maxwell Biedrzycki
- 2nd Place: Andrew Michalewsky
- 1st Place (3-way tie): Michael Albert, Jacob Higgs, Mia Manalo
- 2nd Place: Owen Mucho
- 1st Place: Ryan Buonomo
- 2nd Place (2-way tie): Sydney Montgomery, Anna Engelman