May 30, 2018
Eleven students recognized with May Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized 11 outstanding students with May 2018 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on May 30, 2018.
May 2018 Deans’ Award honorees include:
- Lily Bonasso (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Cecelia, English
- Sara Cortese (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Shefler, Mathematics
- Jack Culhane (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Lardas, World Language
- Laura Lapham (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Schneider, World Language
- Madison Milone (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Smigel, Fine & Performing Arts
- Caroline Nelson (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Mostowy, Science
- Quentin Nelson (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Manion, Social Studies
- Patrick O'Neill (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Peskorski, Science
- Brody Ploeger (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Despines, Library
- Abigail Rutkowski (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Ebrecht, Mathematics
- Emme Wetzel (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Ganster, World Language
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mr. Dan Zelenski. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings