May 2, 2018
Nine students recognized with April Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized nine outstanding students with April 2018 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on May 2, 2018.
April 2018 Deans’ Award honorees include:
- Andrea Burgos (grade 9): nominated by Mrs. Rentschler, Library
- Millena Deiuliis (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Susa, English
- Mia DePolo (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Morton, Wellness
- Jonah Glunt (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Milovac, Fine & Performing Arts
- Cassie Kartsonas (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Haas, Mathematics
- James Khor (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Miller, Mathematics
- Miranda Oliver (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Humes, Social Studies
- Emily Ritter (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Kopaz, World Language
- Muirinn Rooney (grade 10): nominated by Mr. Hartnett, Science
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mr. Dan Zelenski. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings