April 11, 2018
10 students recognized with March Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized 10 outstanding students with March 2018 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on April 11, 2018.
March 2018 Deans’ Award honorees include:
- Brandon Coe (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Junko, Social Studies
- Emily Fagelson (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Alloway, Mathematics
- Jagadeesh Gummadi (grade 12): nominated by Dr. Syme, Science
- Mitchell Hill (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Moeller, English
- Lena Mastro (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Robbibaro, English
- Kat Michlik (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Pickell, Fine & Performing Arts
- Emma Murray (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Nicholson, Mathematics
- Maddie Nolen (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Hess, Wellness
- Walter Oppelt (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Kang, World Language
- Becca Swiech (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Despines, Library
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mr. Dan Zelenski. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings