March 8, 2018
Seven students recognized with February Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized seven outstanding students with February 2018 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on March 7, 2018.
February 2018 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Lucas Cesar (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Erwin, Science
- Allison Ho (grade 12): nominated by Mrs. Rentschler, Library
- Clare Joyce (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Laboon, Social Studies
- Nicole Naumann (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Valentine, Fine & Performing Arts
- Trevor Nulph (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Funfar, Mathematics
- Tommy O’Brien (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Rennhoff, World Language
- Callie Zollars (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Watson, English
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mr. Dan Zelenski. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings