Feb. 14, 2018
Seven students recognized with January Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized seven outstanding students with January 2018 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on Feb. 14, 2018.
January 2018 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Shayna Bennett (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Loboda, Social Studies
- Ethan Bowman (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Stroyne, Science
- Taylor Finkelstein (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Smigel, Fine & Performing Arts
- Kyrie Graham (grade 12): nominated by Mrs. Despines, Library
- Taylor Neiberg (grade 10): nominated by Mrs. Hughes, Mathematics
- Emily Rhodes (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Guarnaccio, English
- Christopher Wright (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Clermont, World Language
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mr. Dan Zelenski. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings