Feb. 9, 2018
USC artists and writers earn recognition
Five writers and four artists from Upper St. Clair School District recently earned recognition in the regional Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. Among the 13 awards were two Gold Key honors including eighth grader Alex LeKachman for his painting titled, "Autumn Trail" and sophomore Lauren Teresi for her photograph, “Into the Woods.”
As Gold Key Award winners, Alex and Lauren have qualified to compete at the national level. National award winners will be announced in March and national Gold Medalists will be honored in June at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
Four Upper St. Clair students earned a combined total of seven 2018 Northeast Art Region-at-Large Awards. Honorees include:
Sydney Kirk, Fort Couch Middle School, grade 8
- Honorable Mention for "Morning Mist" (Category: Photography)
- Honorable Mention for "Pigged Out" (Category: Photography)
- Honorable Mention for "Three Little Birds" (Category: Photography)
Alex LeKachman, Fort Couch Middle School, grade 8
- Gold Key for "Autumn Trail" (Category: Painting)
Katherine Li, Upper St. Clair High School, grade 9
- Honorable Mention for "Curiosities" (Category: Painting)
Lauren Teresi, Upper St. Clair High School, grade 10
- Gold Key for "Into the Woods" (Category: Photography)
- Silver Key for "The Bean" (Category: Photography)
Click here to view the complete list of regional Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention award recipients of the 2018 Scholastic Art Awards in Northeast Art Region-At-Large.
The following students earned recognition through the 2018 Pittsburgh Regional Scholastic Writing Awards:
Annika Chaves, Upper St. Clair High School, grade 9
- Silver Key for “An Unwanted Question” (Category: Poetry)
Sarah Besser, Upper St. Clair High School, grade 10
- Honorable Mention for “A Phone Call Never Placed” (Category: Personal Essay/Memoir)
Markella Jahn, Fort Couch Middle School, grade 7
- Silver Key for “The Wish” (Category: Short Story)
Himani Karia, Fort Couch Middle School, grade 8
- Honorable Mention for “Battle of Ambivalence” (Category: Personal Essay/Memoir)
Julia Roeschenthaler, Fort Couch Middle School, (grade 8)
- Honorable Mention for “Time” (Category: Poetry)
- Silver Key for “The Significance of Man” (Category: Poetry)
The complete list of Pittsburgh Regional Scholastic Writing Awards 2018 winners is available online. This year’s writing contest drew more than 400 submissions from students in grades 7-12 throughout Allegheny County. Winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018, at the Frick Fine Arts Center.
Students in grades 7–12 in the U.S. and its territories, as well as American schools abroad, are invited to submit creative and original work in any of the Awards’ 29 art and writing categories, including architecture, painting, flash fiction, poetry, printmaking, and video game design.
All works are evaluated through blind adjudication first on a regional level by more than 100 local affiliates of the Alliance and then nationally by an impressive panel of creative industry experts. At each level of judging, all works are reviewed based on the same criteria that have represented the program since its founding in 1923: originality, technical skill, and emergence of personal vision or voice.
The Upper St. Clair PTC promotes participation in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards through its Arts in USC initiative. The PTC along with the high school and Fort Couch PTSOs generously underwrite the registration cost of 40 student submissions.