Dec. 19, 2017
Capital projects proceed to bidding process
The Upper St. Clair School District School Board authorized the administration to request bids for its capital projects. The action occurred during the board’s meeting on Monday, Dec. 11, 2017.
The capital projects include:
- Construction of new 8-lane pool at the high school
- Consideration of a separate Diving Well / Special Use Pool, to be bid as an add alternate or delete to the project
- Construction of a multi-use complex at the high school stadium, to include:
- Home and visitor-side bleacher repair/renovation
- ADA compliant restroom facilities, ticket booth, concession area, announcing facilities
- Multi-use space available for school district and community use
- District Administrative Office space within the complex
- Completion of Boyce Athletic Field facilities
- A single structure to include rest rooms/changing area, concession area and announcing booth
The district recently received municipal approval to move forward on the projects. The Upper St. Clair Township Planning Commission approved the plans on Sept. 21, 2017, and, subsequently, the Township Board of Commissioners took similar action on Dec. 4, 2017.
The recent action of gaining municipal approval and the school board’s authorization to go out to bid maintains the projected timeline for the projects. The district had hoped to bid the project in December and award contracts in early spring. Construction will likely begin later this spring with an estimated completion in August 2019.
“With some construction likely beginning before the end of the school year, a lot of careful planning will be required in order to limit the disruption to students,” Dr. Patrick O’Toole, superintendent of schools, said.
In June, the school board approved a contract with PJ Dick to serve as construction manager for the projects. Board members cited PJ Dick’s previous experience with the school district as well as its successful involvement with several swimming facilities as rationale for their support. The company served as project manager for the duration of the renovation projects at Boyce and Fort Couch middle schools as well as the high school.
As construction manager, officials from PJ Dick are working cooperatively with the district’s architects at McLean Architects LLC to develop and review construction documents and bidding specifications, review responsive bids and provide day-to-day, on-site supervision of the projects.
In March 2017, the school board approved its ad hoc committee’s final report and authorized McLean Architects to continue the design development, construction documents and construction phase administration for capital projects.
In addition to the outlined capital projects, the ad hoc committee’s recommendation also includes the removal of a pedestrian bridge at the high school and repaving of the high school’s parking lot at the conclusion of the project.
The estimated cost for all of the projects totals $16 million. The potential effect on property taxpayers is spread out over two years with a tentative 0.15 mill tax increase in 2018-19 and a tentative 0.16 mill tax increase in 2019-20.