Nov. 15, 2017
7 students recognized with October Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized seven outstanding students with October 2017 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on Nov. 15, 2017.
October 2017 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Tommie Lackner (grade 12): nominated by Mrs. Fisher, Mathematics
- Kara Lagoy (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Morton, Wellness
- Alex Lampe (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Shoemaker, Fine & Performing Arts
- Michael McKeever (grade 12): nominated by Senora Lee, World Language
- Josh Russell (grade 10): nominated by Mr. Bennett, Mathematics
- Lauren Tefft (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Kistler, Science
- Justin Yu (grade 9): nominated by Mrs. Rentschler, Library
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mr. Dan Zelenski. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings