Nov. 10, 2017
33 vocalists selected for music festivals
Thirty-three Upper St. Clair students in grades 6 through 9 were selected to participate in choral festivals sponsored by the American Choral Directors Association of Pennsylvania. The festivals include Sweet Harmony for girls and Mucho Macho for boys.
Participating in the Sweet Harmony Festival on Nov. 2, 2017, at West Allegheny High School were the following:
- Grade 9: Clare Joyce, Maddie Nolen and Elizabeth Young
- Grade 8: Madison Bruno, Kaitlyn Clougherty, Jordana Kennedy, Katie Kobeski, Sofia Putorti and Mia Skeel
- Grade 6: Melodi Caliskan, Gabrielle Deep, Sydney Garvey, Evelyn Hertzog, Janelle Knierim, Jaelyn Lakes, Reagan Safko and Emily Whiteford
Four Upper St. Clair music vocalists were featured at the women's festival. Ninth grader Maddie Nolen had a solo and sixth graders Evelyn Hertzog, Sydney Garvey and Jaelyn Lakes were part of a double trio in "Cover Me With the Night," representing four of the nine solo opportunities for the day.
Boyce Middle School hosted the Mucho Macho Music Festival on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017. The following Upper St. Clair students participated:
- Grade 9: Zain Aizooky and Rohan Mishra
- Grade 7: Colin Eccher, George Garces, Ryan Higgs, Thomas McQuillan, Keshav Narasimhan, Dimitri Suher and Benjamin Wasson
- Grade 6: Graydon Altherr, Marshall Howe, Jadon Kithcart, Arnav Kumar, Jude Pagliai, Eli Rankin and Maxim-Levi Shevchenko
Boyce sixth graders Marshall Howe and Jadon Kithcart performed solos at the Mucho Macho festival on an arrangement of Shawn Mendes' “Mercy," the only soloists of the day.
The Upper St. Clair students represent Boyce Middle School, Fort Couch Middle School and Upper St. Clair High School and receive music instruction from Jennifer Schetley, Thomas Hunsberger and Lorraine Milovac, respectively.
During each festival, students from throughout southwestern Pennsylvania will be rehearsing and working with a guest director for the day to put on a culminating concert that same afternoon.