11 students recognized with May Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized 11 outstanding students with May 2017 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on May 31, 2017.
May 2017 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Chris Balta (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Shefler, Mathematics
- Kate Bellas (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Wagner, Applied Learning Strategies
- Ryan Burkett (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Lardas, World Language
- Annie Haid (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Smigel, Fine & Performing Arts
- Jack Kentner (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Despines, Library
- Paige Montgomery (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Vacco, Science
- Shannon Parker (grade 12): nominated by Officer Powell, School Safety
- Khierra Stewart (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Buccilli, English
- Philip Warmbein (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Milovac, Fine & Performing Arts
- Alexis Wehrle (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Manion, Social Studies
- Ava White (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Vacco, Science
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mrs. Christine Mussomeli. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings