Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized 10 outstanding students with March 2017 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on April 5, 2017.
March 2017 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Mary Claire Engel (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Rennhoff, World Language
- Julius Fichtner (grade 12): nominated by Mrs. Colella, Technical Studies
- Matt Hornak (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Pickell, Fina & Performing Arts
- Jake Mazzie (grade 12): nominated by Mrs. Fisher, Mathematics
- Sarah Price (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Humes, Social Studies
- Brian Rullo (grade 9): nominated by Officer Remmy, Wellness
- Christian Schoop (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Despines, Library
- Samantha Spina (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Syme, Science
- Nick Wylie (grade 11): nominated by Officer Remmy
- Vinny Zwickle (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Moeller, English
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mrs. Christine Mussomeli. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings