Eight students honored with Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized eight outstanding students with January 2017 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on Feb. 8, 2017.
January 2017 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Emily Barnett (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Guarnaccio, English
- Julia Conlon (garde 11): nominated by Mr. Nicholson
- Joshua Conn (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Clermont, World Language
- Gianna ‘G’ Lavezoli (grade 11): nominated by Ms. Despines, Library
- Jonathan Levy (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Loboda, Social Studies
- Isabella Neice (grade 9): nominated by Ms. Erwin, Science
- Kasey Price (grade 12): nominated by Ms. Valentine, Fine & Performing Arts
- Zoe Rankin (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Robbins, Wellness
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mrs. Christine Mussomeli. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings