High school recognizes seven outstanding students
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized seven outstanding students with December 2016 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on Feb. 1, 2017.
December 2016 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Aicha Bellaoucha (grade 10): nominated by Mrs. Susa, English
- Daniel Berlin (grade 10): nominated by Ms. Shoemaker, Fine & Performing Arts
- Andrew Caldart (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Peskorski, Science
- Lauryn Davis (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Rentschler, Library
- Ella Gans (grade 9): nominated by Mr. Langley, Mathematics
- Hannahlee Johnston (grade 11): nominated by Mrs. Darakos, World Language
- Megh Patel (grade 10): nominated by Mrs. Susa, English
- Mary Wilding (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Holzer, Social Studies
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mrs. Christine Mussomeli. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings