High school recognizes nine students with Deans’ Awards
Upper St. Clair High School administrators recognized nine outstanding students with September 2016 Deans’ Awards. The awardees and the teachers who nominated them were honored at a special breakfast on Oct. 19, 2016.
September 2016 Deans’ Award honorees:
- Amna Amin (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Edwards, Social Studies
- Allison Dellicarri (grade 10): nominated by Mrs. Duchi, English
- Michael Gallagher (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Robbins, Wellness
- Philip Hoffman (grade 12): nominated by Mr. Coffman, Mathematics
- Dev Kachhadiya (grade 9): nominated by Mrs. Kopaz, World Language
- Olivia Mahla (grade 12): nominated by Mrs. Despines, Library
- Shebl Rosati (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Pickell, Fine & Performing Arts
- Cameryn Shaffer (grade 11): nominated by Mr. Petrick, Sciencwe
- Rachel Tudi (grade 10): nominated by Mr. Bennett, Mathematics
The monthly Deans’ Awards program was established when there were deans within the Upper St. Clair High School administration. The program is now coordinated by the high school assistant principals, Mr. Dan Beck and Mrs. Christine Mussomeli. Dr. Louis Angelo, high school principal, as well as members of the district’s central administration also attend the event in celebration and honor of the students recognized.
Staff members representing each curricular area nominate a student each month for the Deans’ Awards. Students who are nominated receive a commemorative pen and award certificate, and are recognized at the monthly Deans’ breakfast.
The following are some criteria that guide teacher nominations:
- Diligence/hard working behavior
- Positive attitude towards classmates as well as staff
- Kind, empathetic, or helpful behavior to another student
- Helpful behavior to a staff member
- Demonstrating student leadership on and off campus
- Good behavior in structured and unstructured settings